corner corner A Brief History of Tea

A Brief History of Tea
by Roy Moxham |
Registered by wingArvoreswing of Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on 11/19/2013

status (set by KateKintail): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingArvoreswing from Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tea and books, the perfect combination. Well, some chocolate could also be nice :)
Happy birthday, eponine38!
Enjoy life.
Warm regards.

Journal Entry 2 by wingArvoreswing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (11/19/2013 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Off it goes to eponine 38!
Enjoy the ride :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Thank you so much, Arvores, for this wishlist book! Muito obrigada! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016

This book is loaded with detailed information about the history of tea, more info than I could possibly absorb in one reading. Written from a British perspective, it covers how tea was grown in regions of the Empire, specifically Assam, Ceylon, and Africa (Nyasaland, a British protectorate in present-day Malawi). It provides detailed information about the political and social factors involved, including the use of local and imported workers (coolies), relationships between the plantation managers and their workers, and political events in the background (or foreground).
I also learned about climate conditions required for growing the highest quality tea, the tea auctions in London which lasted 311 years until 1998, the four largest tea companies, the invention of the tea bag (1908) and its slow acceptance by serious tea drinkers, the different grades of tea, cloning (vegetative propagation) and much, much more.
“Tea bags soon became popular in America, but they took a much longer time to cross the Atlantic. British travellers described the horror of American tea bags in tepid water. Tetleys introduced the tea bag on to the British market in 1935, but it was not until the mid 1950s that sales began to take off. By 1970 tea bags still had only 10 per cent of the British market. Sales then rose at a phenomenal rate. By 1985 they had 68 per cent of the market, and by 2000 about 90 per cent.”
One of the most interesting parts was the last chapter, about the author’s personal experiences as a 22-year old plantation manager in Nyasaland. It read like a memoir rather than a fact-laden textbook, and it was interesting to read about the social life of the managers in the district and the varied treatment of workers, both seasonal and regular. Especially interesting was the background of political unrest and growing desire for independence from Britain during that time.
Some sections were a bit dry and heavy on facts for my taste. I felt kind of guilty not being able to absorb everything without taking notes (which I didn’t have time to do). But the author’s extensive research definitely deserves 10 stars!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/13/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling in Mary Zee's Biographies of Things Bookbox.

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 31, 2016

The book box returned home to me with this book inside. I am taking the contents of the box to meet-up tomorrow because some of the locals have expressed an interest. After that, we shall see.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/14/2016 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Rather than schlep the whole box to meet-up, I sent out a list of the contents. This book was dibsed, so I’m taking it along to its next reader.

Journal Entry 8 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 30, 2017

Ixy was kind enough to bring this book to the meetup so that I can display it at my upcoming tea party! I'll label it so it's sure to come back with me at the end of the event so I can return it to Ixion for further reading :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingKateKintailwing at Kensington, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 23, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (4/23/2017 UTC) at Kensington, Maryland USA

Bringing to the Kensington Day of the Book Festival to give to a fellow BookCrosser!