corner corner Abbot's Keep: A Ghost Story

Abbot's Keep: A Ghost Story
by Benedict Ashforth | Horror
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/17/2015

status (set by Spatial): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Can't remember where I first heard of this, but it sounded intriguing so I ordered it from Barnes and Noble. It's part epistolary novel, with a tale-within-a-tale structure, and features some old-style British ghost-story tropes - including the doomed-to-be-ignored warning, "Do not follow me once you have read this. No good can come of it." Why doesn't anyone ever heed those warnings? (Well, because there'd be no story otherwise, obviously, but it still grates a bit!) There's a fairly standard cursed-treasure setup here, but with some nicely creepy and atmospheric scenes that enhance the basic storyline.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 03, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/3/2015 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon!

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I picked this out of emmejo's Otherworldly Bookbox. Who can resist a good ol' ghost story? This will be a good one to tuck in my purse while traveling out and about. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, January 10, 2016

I read this while traveling down to Florida. I read it in part of a day and was glad I didn't have to put it down. It was a nice little Gothic horror story that took me on a reading adventure in the Berkshire countryside. I agree GoryDetails, what would possess to someone to migrate towards something dark and sinister? I guess there's different kinds of crazy. Ha! Good thing ol' Clifford chose to check on his brother because they surely provided the reader with a good little dose of creepy entertainment.

I may hang onto this a little while as my daughter seemed interested in reading it. But I will definitely pass it along at some point. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 14, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/15/2017 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

I'm putting this book into emmejo's Otherworldly Bookbox. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 6 by Spatial at Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, October 02, 2017

Selected from the Round III Otherworldly Bookbox.