corner corner Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found

Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
by Bill Keaggy | Nonfiction
Registered by wingNancyNovawing of Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on 11/14/2013

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 14, 2013

from BWB to read first, then tagged to glade1

Journal Entry 2 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Interesting premise. A collection of found grocery lists sent to the author by readers. Some were quite funny, although sometimes his humor was too sarcastic. I liked where he had his wife make something from the ingredients found on 5 lists. I bought this from BWB to read before I sent it to glade1, because the title sounded so offbeat. Now it's on it's way.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (11/27/2013 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

tag on it's way to glade1. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Received in the mail on Monday. Thanks for the tag, NancyNova! This was such a quirky-sounding book I couldn't resist adding it to my wish list. It has already proved to be a conversation piece in the lunchroom at work! I meant to move it to Mt. TBR behind all the other things I've promised to people, but couldn't resist peeking into it and now am about halfway through. It's not a long or difficult read :)

Thanks again!

Journal Entry 5 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, December 09, 2013

Although I am supposed to be reading other books I have promised to people, I couldn't resist peeking into this one, and now I've read the whole thing!

I am fascinated by this quirky book and by it's author/editor, Bill Keaggy, who collects discarded grocery lists and apparently has thousands of them from which he culled the ones in this book. The book itself is a bit of a voyeuristic experience, like eavesdropping on other people's conversations or peeking in their windows. Grocery lists can certainly provide some insight into people's lives. Some of these are touching, some puzzling, and many humorous.

Keaggy includes brief essays on some side topics, like the history of grocery lists or tips for preparing for a shopping trip. Each page also contains a bit of trivia about a grocery item. This is a fun book, a quick read that provides food for conversation and makes me think twice about what I put on my own grocery lists!

As a side note, the bit about history of grocery lists and the ancient lists that have been found reminded me a bit of the book A Canticle for Liebowitz, in which the story's action is catalyzed by the discovery of a grocery list written by Liebowitz. Good book!

I am marking this as available but know one Wish List Tag player who has it on her wish list, so I hope I can tag her with it soon!

Journal Entry 6 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, February 03, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (2/3/2014 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Sent to Bkind2Books today via media mail, as part of the Wish List Tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Friday, February 07, 2014

Came it the mail today - thanks, glade1! This has been a no-good, horrible day and I definitely need a pick-me-up. Just leafing through this brought a smile. I look forward to reading it in its entirety.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A mostly humorous look at grocery lists. This is probably what I think of as a 'bathroom read' - one of those books that you keep in the bathroom to pick up for a few minutes. It can be read easily and picked up several days later and you've not lost your place. There's little tidbits and trivia in the margins - it's interesting but I'm at the point in my life where it's also slightly annoying to have to rotate the book to read it. Definitely appreciated the downloadable list at grocerylists.com. This was a fun and interesting read.

Promised to MyssCyn in the wishlist tag game

Journal Entry 9 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

A wishlist tag for my book crossing friend, MyssCyn - hope this brings a smile your way!
Thinking of you and hoping your day is going well.

Journal Entry 10 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

This book arrived this morning and I took it with me on my appointments.

I finishing it on this wonderful, warm, breezy, evening.
I ended up going through the pages twice. First reading the edges of the pages and then the lists and notes. (You'll understand if you read it.)

Time to check out this guys website.

Thanks again for the RABCK.

Journal Entry 11 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/11/2014 UTC) at San Antonio, Texas USA

If you find a book I've wild released please make a journal entry. You don't have to join the site to do it but it will let me know that someone found it. Then please pass it on when you are finished.
If I've RABCKed a book to you please feel free to RABCK it forward or wild release it.

RABCK=Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness See you SHOULD join if you haven't already. Someone may send you a book you put on a wishlist!

RABCK! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, June 20, 2014

Thank you so much MyssCyn! What a great surprise - a wishlist book! I've already glanced through it and it looks like fun. I'll start it soon.

Thanks again for thinking of me!

Journal Entry 13 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, April 29, 2016

This was fun. There's not too much to add to the earlier reviews; I agree that the author's attitude was sometimes a bit too critical and sarcastic, and did find it annoying having to turn the book (or my head!) to read the factoids on each page (as interesting as they are). But overall it's an interesting read that you can, indeed, pick up at will. [And obviously that's what I've done, as I've had this for a ridiculous length of time ;-( ]

I did learn a lot of interesting things from the short explanations and little facts; for example, I'm not sure if I will be eating paprika in the future. I never knew exactly what an ugli fruit was, or that rhubarb is a relative of buckwheat, or that edamame is a complete protein.

The lists were fun, and the spelling often wince-inducing. English is not phonetic, but come on!

I enjoyed the lists written in other languages.

The recipes sound interesting; I'd like to try the pumpkin milkshake - might not even wait until autumn.

The shopping list decoupage table is a cool idea!

Journal Entry 14 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, April 29, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/29/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to firegirl via the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Hope you enjoy it!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Journal Entry 15 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, May 02, 2016

Safe and sound here in rainy Virginia. Thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016

So I though this would be a fun and interesting read. For years I thought it would be passingly interesting, at least for a little while, to be a cashier in the express lane at a grocery store (back before the self-scan aisles), especially. I imagined it would at least occasionally be fun to see what people came into the store for when they were just getting a few things. I suspect most of the time it's basics like milk, eggs (and vodka?), but occasionally a more random and amusing collection of items. With that in mind, I though this book would be a kind of glimpse into that world. And I supposed it is; most of the lists are pretty mundane, some a little bit stranger. The author tried hard to make the boring lists interesting, which didn't really work for me.

My biggest complaint, really, is that the author is pretty much a jackass. The whole time I was reading the chapter about poor spelling, I was irritated. Who cares about spelling on a grocery list? It's not like it's a newspaper article or a novel. It's a frickin' list. Also, maybe there's a joke on there that you're not privy to. My husband and I have a private joke about bananas (and koalas, anything with repeat syllables like that). We call them "banananas" and put it on the list that way as a little love note/joke.

The author mocks people's ignorance and calls them "stupid". He writes disparaging things based on their handwriting. (Which, WTF? Doctors have notoriously awful handwriting and you'd be hard pressed to convince me, or most people, that they're stupid.) Maybe the person writing the list didn't finish school, maybe not even elementary school. Maybe they're handicapped, physically or mentally. Maybe they're a child. Maybe they're writing with their off hand because their dominant one is broken. Maybe they're writing a list you're not meant to see and who gives a shit about spelling in that case?

I did like the tidbits of trivia in margins, though having to turn the book or my head was a little annoying. I found the author's forced attempt at humor tiring.

So, yeah. This one didn't really work for me. I do appreciate the RABCK, though, and will move it along soon!

Journal Entry 17 by wingFiregirlwing at Kensington Train Station in Kensington, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 29, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/29/2016 UTC) at Kensington Train Station in Kensington, Maryland USA

Left safe and sound on a sheltered bench. Released as part of the "Leap Into the Wild", "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" and "Keep Them Moving" release challenges.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Kensington, Maryland USA on Monday, May 30, 2016

Found it in kensington on my way to ronald reagan aorport.. safe travels!!