corner corner Nectar in a Sieve (Signet)

Nectar in a Sieve (Signet)
by Kamala Markandaya | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Phoenix, Arizona USA on 10/29/2013

status (set by Jackie700): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

This beautiful and eloquent story tells of a simple peasant woman in a primitive village in India whose whole life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved.

Journal Entry 2 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, February 22, 2014

This book has been donated to the General LIterature VBB organized by bookstogive of Springfield, Tennessee.

Journal Entry 3 by tabby-cat-owner at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/25/2014 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book has been mailed to quickheels of Havana, Florida who requested it from the General Literature vbb organized by bookstogive.

Journal Entry 4 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Arrived safely

Journal Entry 5 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Sunday, August 10, 2014

I loved this book, highly recommended.

Journal Entry 6 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Monday, December 22, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (12/22/2014 UTC) at Havana, Florida USA

Sent out in Surprise Bookbox

Journal Entry 7 by wingMeekachu07wing at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Received today as apart of my paperback surprise book box. Looks interesting. I will add to my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 8 by wingMeekachu07wing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/7/2015 UTC) at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA

Shipping to Horsham, PA via the Literature/Fiction Book Box. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, July 17, 2015

This selection from bookstogive's General Literature VBB arrived today. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 10 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I very much enjoyed this beautifully-written novel. It explores a culture and way of life about which I previously knew very little. When I first started the book, I wasn't sure that it was going to draw me in, but it definitely did. The ending seemed slightly abrupt to me, but overall this is a gorgeous book and I'm very glad that I read it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingReallyBookishwing at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 04, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/5/2016 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to iwillrejoice in exchange for a wishlist book she is sending me. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, November 14, 2016

Arrived safely today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, December 04, 2016

Enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing! I'll be loaning this to a non-BookCrossing friend next.

Journal Entry 14 by wingiwillrejoicewing at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 06, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (4/6/2017 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Released into my ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter M. Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 15 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The "M" author books arrived today. I am choosing this book. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 16 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, January 26, 2018

Started reading this book this morning. I think that it will be quick read.

Journal Entry 17 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, January 29, 2018

From: (Associated Press)
“Married as a child bride to a tenant farmer she had never met, Rukmani works side by side in the field with her husband to wrest a living from a land ravaged by droughts, monsoons, and insects. With remarkable fortitude and courage, she meets changing times and fights poverty and disaster.

This beautiful and eloquent story tells of a simple peasant woman in a primitive village in India whose whole life is a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loves—an unforgettable novel that ‘will wring your heart out.’ ”

My thoughts
One of the lessons the reader takes away is that he is thankful that he doesn’t live in this type of poverty. It makes the reader thankful to live where he does and in the time when he does.

Journal Entry 18 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, February 03, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/3/2018 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Off to BOOKWORMINUSALL as a KTM RABCK. Glad to keep this book moving in the BC family.

Journal Entry 19 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Thursday, February 15, 2018

THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH for sharing this enjoyable little book with me, booklady331!!! : D My sincere apologies for not making this Journal Entry as soon as it arrived, which is my usual M.O. In addition to the site being down for the new upgrades the day it arrived, things have been in chaos here with much needed overdue home maintenance and repairs finally in progress for weeks already, including a new roof and exterior painting...in the midst of another series of frustrating medical appointments with more new doctors, and tests, and lab work. I checked the mail as I was leaving for yet another appointment of several one day last week, and was filled with joy to find the little parcel that contained this special little book, as all of my books were boxed up and have been put back in storage again since last fall when all of the added chaos first began, and I had so been wishing for something to read during the long wait times for all of my appointments. I began reading it the same day it arrived, and found the special little hand cut bookmark you included to be a much needed "shiny" added brightspot of hope!!! ; ) Have also been enjoying the little calendar pages inserted at various intervals as I read...especially the first one, as it also had a tiny little garden themed picture on the back that I enjoyed coloring...which was also another bright spot, as during the past month I had to tear out the entire vegetable/flower garden I put in last fall from seeds (not an easy task for me these days) that I had been collecting from the Seed Library http://www.mesalibrary.org/find/stuffbrary/seed-library during the months prior that was just beginning to bloom in our uber warm Arizona winter this year. The book's character Rukmani, who tells this unique cultural story in first person, was also gardening in the beginning of the book...growing pumpkins, beans, sweet potatoes, brinjals (aka eggplants) and chillies. Did you know that the title of this novel is actually taken from the 1825 poem "Work Without Hope" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge? I have included the poem below this excerpt from it that is the epigraph of this novel:

Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve,
And hope without an object cannot live.

Work without Hope
By Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Lines Composed 21st February 1825

All Nature seems at work. Slugs leave their lair—
The bees are stirring—birds are on the wing—
And Winter slumbering in the open air,
Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring!
And I the while, the sole unbusy thing,
Nor honey make, nor pair, nor build, nor sing.

Yet well I ken the banks where amaranths blow,
Have traced the fount whence streams of nectar flow.
Bloom, O ye amaranths! bloom for whom ye may,
For me ye bloom not! Glide, rich streams, away!
With lips unbrightened, wreathless brow, I stroll:
And would you learn the spells that drowse my soul?
Work without Hope draws nectar in a sieve,
And Hope without an object cannot live.

Journal Entry 20 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A personal narrative, raw with emotion, filled with triumph, tragedy, joy, sorrow, abundance, scarcity, love, hate, jealousy, rivalry, compassion, anger, gratitude, heartbreak and more, but above all...wisdom, and the reality of human existence.

In stark contrast to Bookcrossing's philosophy of "Making the Whole World a Library", the daughter of this books' storyteller ..."had been prejudiced against any kind of learning. In her view most of the trouble in the country sprang from the pages of books"...an excerpt from page 128 of the book.

Definitely tugs at your heartstrings...and those troubled with a few grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors, may do well to set them aside to receive the full impact of this author's life story, in this...her first published book. It tells of circumstances that each and every one of us could easily step into in one aspect or another-no matter one's ethnicity or country. We are all one people, with the same emotions as an innate part of being human. Speculative condescending judgment never has a place.

Offering as a RABCK http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/10/550104 for:

1. booklady331's 2018 KTM Release Challenge

2. NancyNova's 2018 RABCK Challenge

3. Dove-i-libri's "REDUCE THOSE TBR MOUNTAINS!" Release Challenge https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/548495

4. jumpingin's February 2018 Ultimate Read and Release Challenge [on or in a body of water...embedded TAR on the sand that's on the shore, and/or SIEVE used in building a sandcastle ; D] http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/549584

Journal Entry 21 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Garnerville, New York USA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/20/2018 UTC) at Garnerville, New York USA

RABCK to Jackie700...HAPPY READING my BC Friend!!! ; D

Journal Entry 22 by wingJackie700wing at Garnerville, New York USA on Sunday, March 04, 2018

I received this book in yesterday's mail. I see that it has already traveled quite a bit. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for the RABCK, BOOKWORMINUSALL :-)

Update: This is one of those books that I would never even have known about if not for Bookcrossing. I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to read it. Thanks again BOOKWORMINUSALL and also to the other Bookcrossers who made it available.
I became immersed in this wonderful story.

Journal Entry 23 by wingJackie700wing at B in Kyoto / 京都市, Kyoto-fu Japan on Friday, April 06, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (4/6/2018 UTC) at B in Kyoto / 京都市, Kyoto-fu Japan

Miyako Hotel. Room 702

Safe travels, little book!