corner corner Short History of Nearly Everything, A

Short History of Nearly Everything, A
by Bill Bryson | Audiobooks
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/23/2013

status (set by Readertoo): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 28, 2013

Abridged on 4 cassettes; read by the author.

Bill Bryson seems to be interested in just about everything..and he makes it interesting for his readers too.

From the author's website:

Bill Bryson describes himself as a reluctant traveller: but even when he stays safely in his own study at home, he can’t contain his curiosity about the world around him. A Short History of Nearly Everything is his quest to find out everything that has happened from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization – how we got from there, being nothing at all, to here, being us.

Bill Bryson’s challenge is to take subjects that normally bore the pants off most of us, like geology, chemistry and particle physics, and see if there isn’t some way to render them comprehensible to people who have never thought they could be interested in science. It’s not so much about what we know, as about how we know what we know. How do we know what is in the centre of the Earth, or what a black hole is, or where the continents were 600 million years ago? How did anyone ever figure these things out?

On his travels through time and space, he encounters a splendid collection of astonishingly eccentric, competitive, obsessive and foolish scientists, like the painfully shy Henry Cavendish who worked out many conundrums like how much the Earth weighed, but never bothered to tell anybody about many of his findings. In the company of such extraordinary people, Bill Bryson takes us with him on the ultimate eye-opening journey, and reveals the world in a way most of us have never seen it before.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reserved for iwillrejoice's Audiobook VBB (round 16).

I see that I never officially released this: I'm glad it got there safely!

Journal Entry 3 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 15, 2014

Received safe and sound. Thanks for sending, hyphen8!

Journal Entry 4 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

There are two reasons I requested this audiobook: 1) Bill Bryson amuses me and I have enjoyed every book of his I have read (OK, maybe not "One Summer: America, 1927" so much), and 2) I wanted to hear his voice. Did it match the voice of the guy who tried to hike the Appalachian Trail? The guy who took a farewell tour of England? The guy who travelled across the country in search of the America of his youth? Not at all. But that's OK. At least, now I know.

After listening to this book, I know a lot of other things as well. Nearly everything, in fact. I started listening to this as NASA's New Horizons spacecraft was closing in on Pluto after a nine-year trek through the solar system, so it amused and amazed me to hear Bill Bryson talk about the mission as something that was going to happen in the future. That's when I realized this was written in 2003, three years before New Horizons was launched, three years before poor Pluto was demoted to dwarf planet status. Still, it was a fascinating listen, and it made me realize how much we don't know about this universe we live in and our part in it all.

Journal Entry 5 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (8/5/2015 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sending to Readertoo in Texas for Round 22 of iwillrejoice's Audio VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I just received this audio book in the mail a few days ago from gubsnerg as part of the Audio VBB Round 23 sponsored by iwillrejoice. Thank you so much I am looking forward to listening to it.