corner corner Swamplandia!

by Karen Russell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ghir of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/20/2013

status (set by lils74): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ghir from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Tone is more somber than I expected from the title. Not grabbing me, will pass this along.

Reserved for collectorkerri.

For wishlist RABCK challenge:

Journal Entry 2 by wingcollectorkerriwing at Springfield, Illinois USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

Received this wishlist book as a RABCK. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcollectorkerriwing at Springfield, Illinois USA on Monday, July 10, 2017

What a strange, strange book. I found the story of the Bigtrees and their wrestling dynasty fascinating. We long have been vacationing in the Florida Keys, and have to drive through a chunk of the Everglades to get there from the Miami airport. There still are roadside attractions like Swamplandia along the way, but they are few and far between these days.

Can't say, really, if I liked or disliked this book, which is unusual for me. I will just have to say that it kept me interested until the end. The next reader will have to make their own judgment.

Sending it on to ApoloniaX, who chose it as the prize in my monthly RABCK contest.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, August 17, 2017

Thank you so much for sending this book around half the world - it's been on my wishlist for a while. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, September 09, 2017

I agree: a weird novel. First it just kind of meanders, then it seems to be finally going somewhere, but the plot doesn’t really fit together... is it supposed to be a satire or comedy about theme parks, a coming-of-age story (or two, or three), a tragedy, a bit of magic realism, a story about child abuse? It can be all, but the parts don't really match.
What I liked best was the information about Florida history and environment, about the Seminoles, about life in the swamps, the flora and fauna. Sometimes the language is brilliant, but it needs some real editing – and shortening.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (10/5/2017 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

Wishlist book for lils74.

Journal Entry 7 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, October 05, 2017

Received this today from ApoloniaX when we met up for a sort-of-brunch :). I do enjoy it when I book has several varied JEs, as this one does! Now I'm really curious, because it sounds quite different from what I expected. Looking forward to adding my thoughts to the list...