corner corner Artemis Fowl Book 1

Artemis Fowl Book 1
by Eoin Colfer | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wing1972Galadrielwing of Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 12/27/2003

status (set by Nefertete): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 27, 2003

Artemis is a 12 year old boy...brilliant and a criminal.He seeks to restore the fortunes of his family and takes the book from a fairy...if he knew what would happen...He would not have taken it. Okay its not too bad, but I prefer Harry Potter. Reading is fast..big letters filling the pages. I am starting an international Bookray for this one.

participants so far

Lesezeichen - Germany
dutch-flybaby - The Netherlands
Nefertete - Utrecht - The Netherlands

Closed and finished.

Journal Entry 2 by wing1972Galadrielwing at postal release in Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 02, 2004

Release planned for Saturday, January 03, 2004 at postal release in Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands.

Journal Entry 3 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Just received. Will read and send on as quickly as possible, but not until I've cracked the code!

Journal Entry 4 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 19, 2004

As I love doing puzzles I began by cracking the code (it was too easy) then turned some pages and - dammit - there was the answer anyway. Read the book quickly, there is no way it can compare with Harry Potter. Am too old for this kind of thing, it didn't wake the child in me.
Now going by post to mfa in Lisbon,

Journal Entry 5 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 23, 2004

i've been curious about this for a while... thanks silentmiau and 1972Galadriel!

Journal Entry 6 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, February 07, 2004

i wanted to read this because i could sense an irish flavour to it... and i wasn't wrong - a few years studying irish lit did pay up.
i'll be a bit bigheaded here, and will use my own research to back up my opinion: in my am thesis there were two main ideias - good children literature grows up with you and the only really traditional option for folklore is to update itself to new times and technologies.
with reagard to the first item, my response is straight forward: i don't think different readings at different agest could unleash new meanings to this story. that is to say it also hasn't waken the child in me.
the second issue is trickier though, because apparently artemis fowl matchs my criteria for a good book on folk lit, insofar as it does provide us with a very inteligent mix of old and new technologies and beliefs. however, the irish mythology depicted is quite fake in folklorical research tems, and that's why it doen't really appeal to me. too much stereotyping with not enough irony, i would say.
however, this is a very clever book, and i like the way the main character is not the good guy and the way abiding to the rules sounds so boring and uneffective...
i will be looking forward to the remaining books, even if out of professional interest mainly.

Journal Entry 7 by BlossomU on Tuesday, February 10, 2004

With first lines like "How does one describe Artemis Fowl? Various psychiatrists have tried and failed." I was hooked and bribed mfa, offered please to ship this book for her in order to be able to read it ;) I am getting LeighBCD´s adress and hope to have this book mailed tomorrow or thursday, sorry for the bookring stoawayness, I will not keep it for long!

Journal Entry 8 by BlossomU on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

It is an interesting read and much faster read than one would believe from the thickness of the book, the type used being very large and the code eating some of the available space. I agree it is probably not great children´s literature, it also did not awake my inner child, but it was quite competent, written smoothly enough. Characters could be deeper or evolving more, the book seems to rely more on lots of action, lots of technology, but it works and it is an interesting enough read. I probably will not read the sequels, but liked reading this one, thanks for letting me hijack the book for a few hours.

Book is now on its way to its rightful next reader, LeighBCD in the UK.

Journal Entry 9 by LeighBCD on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Just received from BlossomU - thanks so much for the postcard!

This is pretty cool... this is the first time I have got my hands on BX book with a label written in a language other than English! I understand a little bit of Dutch so it was fun reading it.

Anyway, I began to read this book this morning, and so far it seems quirky and fun. I will probably read this fairly quickly - I will make another journal entry in due course.

Journal Entry 10 by LeighBCD on Monday, February 23, 2004

This is an extremely imaginative and funny book, a wonderful novel for kids of 12 to read. What I liked about it is that it speaks to children in an adult way not patronising them in tone or style. This is a real gem... I am passing it on the next member of the bookray who I am sure will love it too!

Journal Entry 11 by LeighBCD at Katayoun in Tehran, Iran -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Released on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at Katayoun in Tehran, Iran Controlled Releases.

On its way... I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 12 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, April 04, 2004

here!! i'm so gald that i got a chance to read this. got two more books (rings/rays) before this and then i'll dig in.

april 07 : started the book and it's real fun, hopefully i'll be done in a couple of days

Journal Entry 13 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Monday, April 12, 2004

it's finished and on it's way and i must say that it was really entertaining. artemis is just great and so is holly and so were the rest of the People cast. thanks alot 1972Galadriel for a great ray.

Journal Entry 14 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Thursday, April 22, 2004

received today

Journal Entry 15 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 01, 2004

mailed today

Journal Entry 16 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, September 04, 2004

realized when i took this to the post office wednesday that rubycanary had emailed me a few weeks previously letting me know she had already obtained another copy of the book, and to send it to the person after her.....PM'd livelywriter and am waiting to hear back for a mailing addy

Journal Entry 17 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

PM'ing livelywriter again today, if i don't hear from them by friday i'll PM the next person on the list :)

Journal Entry 18 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

just received livelywriter's addy (was just getting ready to head out for the P.O. *whew*) so it's off to her!

Journal Entry 19 by livelywriter from Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Got it. Will read and send out ASAP

Journal Entry 20 by lesezeichen from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, March 19, 2005

Got it! Thanks everybody!

Journal Entry 21 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Found this book in the mailbox today. Will start reading right away as I have just finished another book this morning :-)

Journal Entry 22 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, April 15, 2005

After being very irritated at the beginning of the book I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have never read a book like this before and it was fun! I didn't care much for Artemis but think the People were very funny and well described :-)
Will pm Nefertete/ask people in Utrecht if they can pass on the book to her since I'll be in Utrecht tomorrow and meeting some other bookcrossers (who live in Utrecht) there.

Journal Entry 23 by dutch-flybabe at on Friday, April 15, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (4/16/2005 UTC) at

I hoping to pass this book on to one of the bookcrossers at the Informatiemarkt Bewust Leven at the Central Library tomorrow, who will hopefully be able to give the book to Nefertete.

Journal Entry 24 by Nefertete from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, April 29, 2005

Just received the book. Thanks Muizz, for dropping it in my mailbox. Some books on the shelf now, so it will take a while before I can starft reading it.

Journal Entry 25 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, December 07, 2005

BlackLilith has not responded to pms. Therefore I close this ray! Nefertete can release the book in the wild when she finds the right moment.

Thank you all for reading along!

Journal Entry 26 by Nefertete at Sportcentrum De Mix in Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, December 29, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (12/29/2005 UTC) at Sportcentrum De Mix in Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands

In the ladies dressing room