corner corner Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree
by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 9/22/2013

status (set by 6ftPrincess): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bought this at a library used book bag sale.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/22/2013 UTC) at Fairfax, Virginia USA

Giving this to a friend who is probably in need of a copy.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 22, 2013

This book mysteriously found its way into my bag at today's meet at Panera in old town Fairfax. Mysteriously, I say.

*snort*

You see, I have a bit of a history with this book, which has now become a joke among my friends, who attempt to find me copies whenever possible.

The funny thing is that I don't even have strong feelings about the book itself, as I said when I first read it back in 2005:

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will’s grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a “slice of life” depiction than much of a story – the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa’s new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it’s time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don’t have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that’s not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you’ll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

Anyway, I hope to continue this copy's journey soon.

Journal Entry 4 by melydia at Elizabeth Mills Riverfront Park in Leesburg, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/29/2013 UTC) at Elizabeth Mills Riverfront Park in Leesburg, Virginia USA

Left on a sign near the entrance.

Journal Entry 5 by 6ftPrincess at Leesburg, Virginia USA on Monday, March 17, 2014

My husband was in Riverfront park in Leesburg when he happened upon this book. He picked it up because he knew I would love to participate in something so fun! He flew it home to me in Denver, Colorado, which is where I read it over the past few weeks and finished it today. Loved the book! Being one of 'them damn yankees' I know very little about life in the south, especially during this time period. I thoroughly enjoyed the language and many of the stories made me laugh out loud. I grew up in a small town and many things don't change! Overall I would say that the book made me feel nostalgic, which is strange to say given my very different upbringing, but as I raise my kids now in Denver I find myself wishing for this kind of connected community (minus the prejudice against women, African-Americans and mill-workers) where people take care of each other. I will send the book on its' way, not sure how yet. I will put in another entry when it is 'back in the wild'.