corner corner When We Were Orphans

When We Were Orphans
by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LouiseB79 of Malton, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/20/2013

status (set by Worthers): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by LouiseB79 from Malton, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 20, 2013

A beautifully written but somewhat grim story which I read in one sitting during a flight. The plot revolves around a man, Christopher Banks, who was brought up in Shanghai in the 1910s but was brought back to England as a child when both of his parents went missing within months of each other. As a young man who has become a famous private detective, he decides to go back to China and use his investigative skills to find out what happened to his parents.
The actual investigation is only alluded to - Banks seems to do a lot of the boring research off-stage and it is not really the point of the book. The main focus is Christopher's inner life and the effect wrought on him by growing up with such a mysterious event permanently at the back of his mind. When he does eventually find out some of the truth, the impact it has on him seems less than I would have expected, but it's still more than worth reading, especially if you're interested in the Far East.

Journal Entry 2 by LouiseB79 at Monthly Bookcrossing Meetup at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 20, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/24/2013 UTC) at Monthly Bookcrossing Meetup at The Graduate in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released at monthly BookCrossing meetup

Journal Entry 3 by sherdnerdess at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Acquired at the meetup. It's got Asian content and therefore must be read in the world on me. Split between China and Shanghai during the Japanese occupation. The detective protagonist must discover whether his parents are still alive and hostage.

Journal Entry 4 by sherdnerdess at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (9/25/2018 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Bringing to the meet up for Author-I theme. Not sure what to make of the book.

Journal Entry 5 by Worthers at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Picked up at this evening's York bookcrossing meet up as I've never read any Ishiguro but feel like I should.