corner corner The Night Circus

The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern | Romance
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 9/14/2013

status (set by etherea): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 14, 2013

A story about a mysterious circus that only opens at night and two magicians who commit their child protégés to a future contest. Completely absorbing.

Saved for hyphen8. To TOC, 11/16/13.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Highly recommended by my fellow attendees at the Neil Gaiman event I attended earlier this year; Erin Morgenstern was the host.

Thank you ghir, again! (Mom loved the stamps.)

Here's another copy on my shelf.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Full of fascinating characters and things I'd love to see.

Of course, I particularly like this passage:

"It is important," the man in the gray suit interrupts. "Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that." He takes a sip of his wine. "There are many kinds of magic, after all."

Also, I love the cover.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, September 01, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/2/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This story full of lovely images is off to meet a member of the birthday group. Sorry this will be a bit late - I hope you had a terrific birthday, and I wish you a great rest of 2014.

Since this is about a traveling circus, I'll count it for GoryDetails's travel challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by wingethereawing at Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Monday, September 08, 2014

Thanks for the wishlist book! It arrived at the perfect time. My birthday was great and this just extended it. I always say that I celebrate the month of August, but now I get to extend it into September:)