corner corner Mister Pip

Mister Pip
by Lloyd Jones | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingtrikwing of Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 9/14/2013

status (set by alexiapapa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingtrikwing from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 14, 2013

You cannot pretend to read a book. Your eyes will give you away. So will your breathing. A person entranced by a book simply forgets to breathe. The house can catch alight and a reader deep in a book will not look up until the wallpaper is in flames.' Bougainville. 1991. A small village on a lush tropical island in the South Pacific. Eighty-six days have passed since Matilda's last day of school as, quietly, war is encroaching from the other end of the island. When the villagers' safe, predictable lives come to a halt, Bougainville's children are surprised to find the island's only white man, a recluse, re-opening the school. Pop Eye, aka Mr Watts, explains he will introduce the children to Mr Dickens. Matilda and the others think a foreigner is coming to the island and prepare a list of much needed items. They are shocked to discover their acquaintance with Mr Dickens will be through Mr Watts' inspiring reading of Great Expectations. But on an island at war, the power of fiction has dangerous consequences. Imagination and beliefs are challenged by guns. Mister Pip is an unforgettable tale of survival by story; a dazzling piece of writing that lives long in the mind after the last page is finished.

I re-read this book (some time ago I read the German translation) because I think it's worth to be traveling in the bookcrossing-world - and I still loved it.
On the one hand it's a story about a war most of the Europeans of my age would not have heard about. On the other hand it's showing about the power of imagination and fantasy.
Pip, the character in Dickens' 'Great Expectations' becomes a friend of Matilda who lives in a tropical island during a civil war period. They get to know each other because the island's only white man takes over teaching the children - by reading them 'Great expectations'. But Pip does not have only friends on the island, his 'existence' puts the village in danger and changes not only the children's point of view but also their parent's...
Now I have to read 'Great Expectations' sooner or later :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingtrikwing at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, September 20, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/20/2013 UTC) at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Off it goes to the winner of the 'authors from unusual countries sweep' - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingalexiapapawing at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Thanks for sending it trik! going in my tbr pile! :)