corner corner The Girl on the Stairs

The Girl on the Stairs
by Louise Welsh | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by oofiri of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 9/12/2013

status (set by Annelis): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 12, 2013

"Berlin stretches out before Jane, filled with promise. The city is alive with the ghosts of its past. Everything is new; the language, the streets, the people. She's isolated, pregnant and struggling to fit in. While her partner Petra is at work, she explores the neighbourhood. In the derelict building that looms over their backyard, a light flickers; a shadow passes on the stairs. She meets a neighbour's daughter, a girl whose life she tries to mend..."

A "psychological chiller", according to the back cover blurb. Worked quite well for me.

Reserved for Annimanni (Wishlist Tag on the Finnish forum).

Journal Entry 2 by oofiri at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (10/27/2013 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Annimannille kirjamessumiitissä.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thank you for this wishlist book! I'm a fan of psychological chillers, too, and the Berlin setting makes this particularly intriguing.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Wow! This was a very dark and haunting read, yet enjoyable (although I'm not sure whether 'enjoy' is the right verb to use in this context). As someone said in a review of this book, there's nothing as scary as one's own imagination. Recommended reading for thriller fans!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 22, 2014

Berlin as a milieu is interesting, I think. I only hope the book is not too thrilling for me.
Thank you for the book, kind Bookcrossers!