corner corner How Reading Changed My Life

How Reading Changed My Life
by Anna Quindlen | Nonfiction
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on 9/11/2013

status (set by BOOKWORMINUSALL): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I devoured Anna Quindlen's "How Reading Changed My Life" in two sittings, the first of which kept me up until nearly 1 AM. This seems most fitting for a book that chronicles Quindlen's own life-long voracious reading habits.

This book is a pure joy -- slender and fast-moving and effortless to read. It is, in many ways, Quindlen's love letter to books and reading. Anyone who reads or cherishes books to the slightest degree will find some resonance in Quindlen's commentary, but those of us who adore reading will certainly encounter a kindred spirit within its pages.

In short, this book is a "must read" for any lover of books and reading and is sure to please.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/18/2013 UTC) at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases

This ring is underway and the book is traveling to peace-filled. I hope she enjoys it!

Here are the participants in order:

1. peace-filled
13. chesswally
14. sorcheen
15. Ellastix
16. Sherlockfan
17. daffodil-2 (UK shipping only)
18. HappyHarryBabe (UK)
19. florence71 (France - European shipping)
20. dutch-book (Netherlands - international shipping)
21. Boekentrol (Netherlands - international shipping)
22. iiwi (Netherlands - international shipping)
23. Bookworm-lady (Spain - international shipping)
24. okarih (prefers EU shipping, but can ship internationally if needed)
25. Dani75 (Germany - can ship internationally)
26. catsalive (Australia - can ship internationally) <-- ASKED TO BE SKIPPED
27. DerbyshireE11 (UK - can ship internationally)
28. CavyNomes (Australia - can ship internationally)
29. laure69 (France - can ship internationally)
30. CanticleLost (US - can ship internationally)
31. End of ray: book to be released by CanticleLost! <-- BOOK HAS REACHED THE END OF THE RAY!!!

Journal Entry 3 by peace-filled at Sechelt, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

This book just arrived today, looks interesting. I should have it on it's way next week, thank you.

Journal Entry 4 by peace-filled at Sechelt, British Columbia Canada on Friday, October 18, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (10/18/2013 UTC) at Sechelt, British Columbia Canada

Sending on to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 5 by peace-filled at Sechelt, British Columbia Canada on Friday, October 18, 2013

I really enjoyed this book. It brought back memories of books I have read through my life, and I read of other books I would like to read. I like her lists of books at the back also.

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I am looking forward to reading this book. I hope to read it before I leave on my next trip

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 10, 2013

I read this on a flight for my last business trip. It was very good.

I feel much the same way about books

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, November 18, 2013

This just showed up on my doorstep while I was off having my teeth cleaned. It is of just the right length for me to get it read and on its way again within the week. Looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 9 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Just a lovely little book that talked about the love of books. Hard to say much about it besides "Ditto!" I found the reading lists at the end interesting because I had read an average of 1/10 for each list. I will say that having read this book I went looking for more info on the author and added several of her other books to my Want To Read shelf.

I have Tarna's address and will put it in the mail to Finland this weekend.

Journal Entry 10 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Monday, November 25, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (11/25/2013 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control." -- Paul Auster

This book is now off in the mail to Tarna in Finland -- happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 11 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Thanks, 6of8! It's here, and sooner than I expected. Your timing was just perfect. Finished another ring book yesterday evening. I still have some library books that should be read soon, but this little book looks so delicious... :)

Journal Entry 12 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, December 23, 2013

Well, I knew I would like it. I've read the Finnish translation of One True Thing and remember first fearing it would be some bestseller and/or women's fiction (not quite my cup of tea) but then simply loving the book.
Couldn't help comparing How Reading Changed My Life with Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman. I like more the way Quindlen writes. Even if she says, for instance, that she was certain she'd get the scholarship for the convent school (other girls didn't recognize the quotation from A Tale of Two Cities),she doesn't brag about her wide reading like Fadiman seems to do. I think I enjoyed most when she was talking about being a bookworm in American culture and about real books (as opposed to virtual versions).
All in all, I enjoyed this little book immensely. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, ReallyBookish! Annimanni is next on the list. The book is on its way to her and she should get it by the end of this year.

Anna Quindlen at Wikipedia
annaquindlen.net
annaquindlen.com

Journal Entry 13 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, December 23, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (12/22/2013 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Dropped the book in the mail box around 1 a.m. this morning. The book has now left for Espoo, and Annimanni should get it some time after Christmas.

Journal Entry 14 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 27, 2013

The book arrived safely in Espoo. Thanks, Tarna! I'll try to read it quickly and pass it on to Tarya before I head off to Thailand for two weeks on 5 Jan.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 27, 2013

Well, I couldn't resist, but went and read it straight away :) And it was a treat indeed. Many books about reading have turned out to be disappointing, often because of the bragging Tarna mentions (Fadiman's Ex Libris is still on my TBR pile, but Francis Spufford's The Child That Books Built was way too highbrow, if not pretentious). But Quindlen writes warmly and with a personal, almost humble approach, which I appreciated very much. I've read several of her novels and have enjoyed them immensely so it's not surprising that her style of writing pleased me this time, too. A very nice read, this!

I'll post the book to Tarya on Monday.

Journal Entry 16 by Tarya at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 03, 2014

And the book is here now, thank you Annimanni! I was going to read Quindlen's Blessing (in Finnish though) in order to get a Q for the alphabet challenge, but since this is a ring book and hence more urgent, I guess this will be my Q :)

Thank you also for the lovely postcard that came with the book :) Happy new year, have a wonderful holiday in the warmth of Asia!

Journal Entry 17 by Tarya at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 17, 2014

I guess that for most of us it's difficult to imagine life without books, that people have not always had access to books or that they have not even been literate - on the other hand it's very easy to understand that it has been a simple way to control others, by keeping them ignorant. Actually that still goes on, especially in some of the poorest countries of the world, this time only not so much by governments or dictators or plantation owners but by male family members or the eldest who consider household work more useful for girls than learning to read.

It's just amazing how people around the world think (at least a bit) alike when they hear names like Manderley or Thornfield Hall. Books surely unite people. Books can take us to different places and times and by doing so they help us understand the past as well as the present in other places.

Books - and reading - have several functions, that's obvious, and their importance to an individual person can't be measured or evaluated by any outsiders. "And if readers use words and stories as much, or more, to lessen human isolation as to expand human knowledge, is that somehow unworthy, invalid, and unimportant?" Books offer an easy and quick - yet short :) - escape from the everyday life, if that's not possible in any other way. Books came in handy to me last autumn when there was a huge pipe and electricity repair at my home and I had to stay 10 weeks at my mum's summer cottage with no conveniences. It took six hours per day just to get to work and back (car & bus & subway and the same again in the evening in opposite order) so my working days became really long. At the same time I had to go through several operations not knowing if the last and final diagnosis would be cancer or not. So I read. Oh boy, how I read! :D

What surprised me most in this book were the listings of banned books, and of course the bans too. Okey, it is 20-25 years since I've read Catcher in the Rye, so my recollections are a little bit vague, but I really can't imagine that kind of books to ever have been banned anywhere in Finland.

Personally I'm afraid that one day the printed book will lose in the technowar. In a month or two my subscription to the local newspaper will end and thereafter I'll read my news only online. I see no problem there (the news should anyway travel fast), but that's it. I could not replace the paperbacks I read on my way to work with a Kindle or such equipment. That wouldn't feel right. At least not yet..

Yet it's clear that the purpose of reading books has already changed, books are not anymore the only or even the best way to acquire knowledge. I love books but there's no point in buying the expensive lawbooks (annual cost 690 euros), which I did during my first academic years, when even better, up-to-date information can be obtained online - for free. The books I read I read for fun - the necessary information I usually get from elsewhere :)

OT: Quindlen mentions in her book Katherine Paterson whose books I haven't read so far. However, now I've found and registered a book of hers, The Great Gilly Hopkins, and decided to read it, even though it'll give a little challenge by being a Swedish translation ;)

With this book I participate the Finnish Alphabet Challenge by Mecu :)

I'm sorry for keeping the book so long! Thank you for sharing it! I'll send it to hesiodo66 as soon as I have checked the address.

(Edited 18.2.2014)

Journal Entry 18 by Tarya at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I got the address and will send the book tomorrow to hesiodo66 :)

Journal Entry 19 by Tarya at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (2/19/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I've now packed the book and I'll take it tomorrow to the post office next to my working place (00130 Helsinki). Safe journey!

Edit: The lady at the post office said that the average travel time is two weeks. Let's see if the book can beat that :)

Journal Entry 20 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Friday, March 14, 2014

received, safe, yesterday!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 21 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Monday, March 31, 2014

I started to read it!!!!!!

Journal Entry 22 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

pages 9/10: Not only in USA is suspiciuos reading.

Reader`s Digest condensed Faulkner???? OOOoooohhhhh!

Journal Entry 23 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Finished today, an d really enjoyed!!!!!! I want to read more Quindlen's books.

And happy to find Alberto Manguel quotes (he is very interesting argentinian writer, living in France since decades).

Journal Entry 24 by hesiodo66 at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/3/2014 UTC) at Rosario, Santa Fe Argentina

to sarahmangan, in UK

Journal Entry 25 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 28, 2014

This arrived just before my Easter hol so apologies for not JE-ing it sooner. A very quick and enjoyable read. Thanks for including me in the ray really-bookish and for posting it on to me hesiodo66! It's made me want to read some of Quindlen's fiction. If anyone has any recommendations of her books please pm me!

I'll get this sent on to the next reader ASAP. :)

Journal Entry 26 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/6/2014 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Sorry - forgot to say this went in the post at the end of last week.

Journal Entry 27 by tximeleta-vlc at Alicante, Alacant/Alicante Spain on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Got it last week in the post- thanks a lot, Sarahmangan!
Will read it really soon...

Journal Entry 28 by tximeleta-vlc at Alicante, Alacant/Alicante Spain on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

And soon did I read it! I just couldn't put it down...
Reason why? It describes perfectly my experiences on reading. The way Quindlen first approached the books, how did she feel, how does she feel, the future of printed books, the opinions on what's quality and non-qualitiy literature,... And there are many books we haven't heard of here in Spain. I'll check them out on the Internet.

Getting to Booksieboo so it continues its journey.
Thanks Reallybookish for sharing!

Journal Entry 29 by tximeleta-vlc at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/11/2014 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Just sent to Booksieboo- thanks for your patience! Hope you like it! :)

Journal Entry 30 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

This book arrived today in Bochum, Germany.
Thanks to tximeleta-vlc for posting it and for the bookmarks and cards. :-))

Journal Entry 31 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Not as 'dramatic' as I had expected, on the other hand my expectations were based solely on the wording of the title. This book is easy to read, but only part of it deals with how reading became part of the author's life.
Having said that, the way the book is written almost automatically reminded me of how reading became part of my life - and I imagine it will have the same effect on just about every reader, if they need reminding.
I had to chuckle at the reference (on page 21/22) to the 'requisite set of the Encylopaedia Britannica bound in faux leather and conspicuous by their obvious disuse.' When I was a child, my father had a multi-volume encylopaedia next to his reading chair, and almost every time I asked him a question he would pass me the appropriate volume and tell me to find out for myself. (Yes, he was a teacher.) Only later in life did I realise how delving into encylopaedia, and reading in general, can also become part of your life.

Thanks for the opportunity to read this book; I'll be posting it to PrincessRainbow today or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 32 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/2/2014 UTC) at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Posted to PrincessRainbow in Austria. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 33 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Saturday, July 05, 2014

4 July 2014: The book arrived. Thank you for the nice postcard, the bookmarks and the BC-labels.

14 July 2014: I really enjoyed this lovely little book! It is very well written. More than once I thought "Yes, I feel the same." For example how often I escape sad or lonely hours while reading a book that warmed my heart or comforted my soul and after reading I always feel better. This book is a declaration of love to books in general. I like the writing style of the author very much. I would like to read more that she has written.

Journal Entry 34 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/16/2014 UTC) at Zirl, Tirol Austria

The book is on the way to Billbooks (Australia).

Journal Entry 35 by Billbooks at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Monday, August 25, 2014

Book arrived during the Film Festival. After a fortnight of movie watching I am catching up with the rest of my life. Many thanks to all

Journal Entry 36 by Billbooks at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Sorry for the delay on this. Being such a thing book it managed to get "lodged" in a larger book and I actually found it luckily when cleaning out a bookcase. Interesting little read agreed and disagreed with some of the authors ideas - but she is right reading is for me both information gathering and entertainment not great critques of good and bad

Journal Entry 37 by wingchesswallywing at Vaihingen (Enz), Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

So the book travelled through half the world, but now it has arrived safely. A little koala was its company. Thank you for sending it.

This book was very interesting, because it led me into remembering my reading habits when I was young. I thought about the books I loved and why I loved them. And I liked finding out that I share some of Anna Quindlen's favourites. For example Manderley or Tara.....many readers share the dreams or find important thoughts in these books.

Journal Entry 38 by wingchesswallywing at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (12/9/2014 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Travelling to the next reader.

Journal Entry 39 by sorcheen at Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, December 18, 2014

The book has now arrived in Duisburg, Germany, and I am looking forward to reading it. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 40 by sorcheen at Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, February 06, 2015

The book is on its way to Australia now.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this little book as it describes very much the way I feel about reading myself. Thank you very much for sharing this!

Journal Entry 41 by Ellastix at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

This lovely little book has just arrived with me. It has caught me just as I finished another so will be able to get stuck straight into it.

Thanks sorcheen for sending it, and ReallyBookish for organising the ring.

Journal Entry 42 by Ellastix at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, February 19, 2015

A quick and enjoyable read! I saw a lot of parallels with the start of my own reading journey (which I guess is kind of the point), though the books I had available to read as a kid never encompassed as many classics as Quindlen was exposed to. I've always been a big reader, though my tastes have never been overly literary, as such (without being too trashy either, I might add). As a kid I'd choose to read over watching TV. At high school I'd wait for my friends in the library, then read all through lunch time (without losing my place in the conversation). Books that I love get reread regularly, though this has never led to me being a writer!
I also found the talk of encroaching technology interesting, especially given that it was written 17 years ago and now people don't think twice about reading on their phone or tablet or kindle, though I hope that books are never fully superseded. I own a kindle and love it for travel and found it to be particularly useful when my nearest decent book shop was about 1000km away, though since moving back to town and joining BookCrossing it rarely gets used.
I hope to pass my love of reading on to my boy, though it will be just my luck and he'll be obsessed with motorbikes like his Dad instead. At the moment there are piles of books stacked everywhere so books might be winning at this early stage, but realistically I'll be happy if he inherits just a fraction of my love for reading.
Oh, the places you'll go :-)

Have contacted shelockfan for her address, so hopefully this will be on its way soon.

Journal Entry 43 by Ellastix at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 27, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/27/2015 UTC) at Perth, Western Australia Australia

I forgot to journal this the other day when I posted it, but it is currently on its way to Sherlockfan in New Zealand. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 44 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, March 05, 2015

The book arrived safely today. Thanks Ellastix for sending it, and for the beautiful Perth postcard, and the chatty message. I've been to Perth twice and found it to be a lovely place. Was in Freemantle just after the America's Cup excitement - rather a long time ago now. I'm really looking forward to an entertaining read. Not this weekend, but hopefully next week.
I'll pm daffodil2 so I have her address waiting when I finish.

Journal Entry 45 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, March 28, 2015

Thanks very much Reallybookish for starting this growing bookring. Like others before me I found mention of favourite books of mine great and also like learning about other possibilities.
Won't make any rash promises of what else I'm going to read because these days the 666 Challenge, 2 real-life book groups meeting monthly and trying to keep a nearby OBCZ somewhat filled keeps me pretty busy. Will certainly check out annaquindlen.com though.
She had such an easy way of expressing things.
Have pmed daffodil-2 for an address so the book should be moving shortly.

Journal Entry 46 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (4/3/2015 UTC) at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand

I've posted the book off to Daffodil-2 a couple of days ago and forgot to make an entry at the time. It is safely wrapped and shouldn't take too long.

Still thinking with pleasure just how much I enjoyed this book although I haven't yet looked at the author's own page. A treat to come no doubt.

Journal Entry 47 by daffodil-2 at Torbay, North Shore, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, April 13, 2015

Received in the mail at
My son's house where I am staying for a few weeks, leaving my poor husband at home to hold the fort. Thanks very much Sherlock fan and for the label and your letter. Will pm you too. Will read while I'm away then take back to uk with
Me for forwarding on to the next person.

Journal Entry 48 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, May 11, 2015

REVIEW:- "I found this book rather disappointing in some ways. While I enjoyed the beginning describing the author's childhood and the basis of her great love of books, I found some of the following chapters rather high-brow and at times hard to follow and rather disjointed. However I did finish it and appreciated it when the author mentioned books that I too love."

Will be forwarding on to HappyHarry Babe as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 49 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/15/2015 UTC) at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent on to HappyHarryBabe care of the Post Office. as she is next on the list for the Ray.

To the finder:-

I already have books travelling in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands, Croatia, the Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Indonesia, Madeira, Mauritius, New Zealand, Portugal, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the U.S.A, Wales and all over England.

Journal Entry 50 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2015

The book arrived today. I'll try and read it soon.

Journal Entry 51 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 10, 2015

This is a throughly enjoyable and thought provoking read about books and about somebody else's experiences with books. Although the majority of it is biographical there are quite a few instances where it's informative and given information on the history of books.

I shall be posting this out on Friday. It seems like colectorfou92 will be missed and it will be moving along to florence71 (whose address I have ready).

Journal Entry 52 by HappyHarryBabe at Plympton, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, June 12, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (6/12/2015 UTC) at Plympton, Devon United Kingdom

As colectorfou92 failed to reply to both of my messages asking for his address, I have skipped him and posted it on to the next participant.

I posted this on today to florence71.

Journal Entry 53 by florence71 at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Friday, June 19, 2015

Well received yesterday, thank you HappyHarryBabe ! I read it after I finished "Me before you" of Jojo Moyes I actually read it, and I'll send it to the next participant to the ring.

Journal Entry 54 by florence71 at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Monday, June 29, 2015

Read in two hours this sunday, hot day too lazy for doing anything else than reading. I loved this book and ideas of reading with the lists at the end of the novel. One sentence is really me "My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read.".
Thanks ReallyBookish for the sharing. I send a PM to Dutch-Book for send it the book to her / him in the week.

Journal Entry 55 by florence71 at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, July 02, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/3/2015 UTC) at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

In his way to Netherlands. Happy reading !

Journal Entry 56 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I tend to say sorry a lot lately, so sorry (again). I've received and read this book. Boekentrol sent me a reminder that this book still needed to be journalled and that people are waiting for it. So I've taken immediate action (finally) and have asked for her adress. I will send this book to her on Thursday at the latest.

I didn't really care for the book, compared to what I read it did to lots of other people here and on Goodreads. I suspect it is because reading hasn't been quite the same for me in these last couple of years. So I guess you could say that this is a wrong book at the wrong time. A shame, but perhaps it's the best book for Boekentrol and all the other people following her.

Journal Entry 57 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, August 20, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/20/2015 UTC) at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On its way to Boekentrol.

Journal Entry 58 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, August 21, 2015

The book arrived safely with me today.
It looks like an interesting (and quick) read, will get to it soon.

Journal Entry 59 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, August 22, 2015

Hmmmm....
I'm not sure about this book. On the one hand I found things in it I could relate to: the love for reading from a young age, needing more books than there were present in the house (I borrowed from our neighbour), the Reader's Digest books that found their way into our home at a certain point in time. And the one book that made a life time impression. (For me there were 2, the first 'adult' ones I read when my mum thought I was old enough to read them (I think I was about 14): A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford and The Proud Breed by Celeste de Blasis, both were Dutch editions, since my English was not good enough to read in English at that age.

But the huge disappointment for me was, that through the content of the book's chapters I was not able to filter how reading changed the author's life.

When I read a title like that, I expect a 'before' compared to an 'after'. Be it before I could read and after, or before book X and after, some kind of comparison.
What I found was more or less a shortened history of print, literature and how certain (kinds of) books were received and treated by society or groups of people. And that generalisation I did not expect at all.

Concerning the lists at the end of the book: as far as I can tell, they are quite English language literature orientated. For someone to write a book about reading and changing of lives, I would have expected a more world wide range of books to recommend, books to save from a fire etc.

All in all quite a disappointing read for me.

Journal Entry 60 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, August 23, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/24/2015 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book is now on its way to iiwi, the next in line to read this book.

Journal Entry 61 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Received today!

Journal Entry 62 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, September 05, 2015

No, it just does not work with me and the language of this book. Somewhere in my memory is that I had a copy of this book before and it did not work then either.

I will contact bookworm-lady.

Journal Entry 63 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, September 20, 2015

The book has arrived safely in Spain, ;)
Thanks for sharing, ReallyBookish, and thanks for sending it my way, iiwi.
I think I won't take long to read it and keep it moving.

Journal Entry 64 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, January 07, 2016

Currently reading it; sorry for taking so long. :(
I will ask for the next reader's address, and get it moving soon.

Journal Entry 65 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, January 24, 2016

What a charming little book!
I love "books about books", if possibly containing lists of books the writer has enjoyed (or not), and/or recommends...
This one gave me a few ideas for my "ever-growing" WishList.

I identify with this quote:
"Perhaps only a truly discontented child can become as seduced by books as I was."

And about the death of printed books, so many times predicted:
"It is not possible that the book is over. Too many people love it so."

Thanks for sharing it, ReallyBookish, and sorry for keeping it so long.
It will soon continue its way to another reader, who will probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 66 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, January 25, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (1/25/2016 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Okarih, in London.
Thanks for your patience, and enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 67 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The book arrived today. Thank you for the lovely card, Bookworm-lady!

I should be able to start reading this soon.

Journal Entry 68 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I really couldn't get in to this book but thank you for the opportunity to try it! Will contact the next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 69 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 29, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/26/2016 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 70 by Dani75 at Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, March 04, 2016

Picked up this book from my PO Box today - thanks for sending it along! I´m really looking forward to reading it :)

Journal Entry 71 by Dani75 at Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, June 11, 2016

What a wonderfully written book - I love the way Anna Quindlen is writing about her passion for reading and I kept finding myself in a lot of passages. It really shows her love for books.
Sorry for keeping it so long but it is now on its way to the next reader - catsalive asked to be skipped!

Journal Entry 72 by Dani75 at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, June 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/11/2016 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

On the way to DerbyshireE11 by mail - happy travelling :)

Journal Entry 73 by DerbyshireE11 at Bakewell, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 24, 2016

Safely arrived from Germany with a lovely bookmark - thank you! Am looking forward to reading it and then sending it on.

Journal Entry 74 by DerbyshireE11 at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/15/2016 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A quick read, but one that will resonate with many readers. I remember how much I loved libraries when I was a child!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this on the way again - it's going in the post to CavyNomes tomorrow.

Journal Entry 75 by CavyNomes at Wentworth Falls, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 29, 2016

Book has arrived safely, just in time for my holiday!

Journal Entry 76 by laure69 at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, October 20, 2016

The book arrived yesterday. Thank you.

Journal Entry 77 by laure69 at West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Thursday, November 10, 2016

Released 10 mos ago (11/10/2016 UTC) at West Palm Beach, Florida USA

A rather interesting study about reading. I'm not sure I understand the title as there was never a time before for the author.

The book left for CanticleLost today.

Journal Entry 78 by CanticleLost at West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I received the book and will get to reading it immediately!

Journal Entry 79 by CanticleLost at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I loved reading this small book and wish I could share it with all of my bookish friends. Will decide how/where to release it.

One thing I did not enjoy was the author's oddly specific negative comments on Ayn Rand's work. "Merely popularly engaging" vs "great"?! Or her insistance that whole sections of Rand's books should be in a separate font for easy skipping over, or that her editor should have "taken care of" these sections by deleting them altogether! All while mentioning that she has Rand on her personal shelf. Nowhere else in the book does she go out of her way to sound so arrogant or critical towards any of the many books that she mentions in her novel, even while admitting any of their flaws. The whole tone she used changed in those few sentences and it was very weird. Not a fan of objectivism, (hardly the sole content of Rand's works, but it should be a given that she is very passionate about the philosophy and includes it in her writing) but proud enough to mention that her (Quindlen) own published book sits on her shelf between Proust and Rand. Bizarre. Maybe Quindlen's editor should have "taken care of that".

Still, I enjoyed the book. Probably a book that can resonate with the users of this site very well.

Journal Entry 80 by CanticleLost at West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (2/9/2017 UTC) at West Palm Beach, Florida USA

Added to the READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT Bookring game!

Journal Entry 81 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 09, 2017

Thank you so much for participating in my first ever
Group 3 "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring!!!

And THANK YOU for your patience in waiting for so long for me to be able to make a Journal Entry!!! ; ) Been a rough month, explained in part here. http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/5/533419/8913767