corner corner The Family That Couldn't Sleep: A Medical Mystery

The Family That Couldn't Sleep: A Medical Mystery
by D.T. Max | Nonfiction
Registered by DrSlump612 of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 9/7/2013

status (set by eponine38): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DrSlump612 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, September 07, 2013

From the Nokomis Library book sale.

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Good narrative of some of the prion problems. Max focuses on a family that has an inherited prion disease, allowing that family to carry the story into the various Kuru, Mad Cow, Chronic Wasting disease syndromes.

Some science, but not much. Still interesting, although the author's bias is evident and has to be filtered. Max, having a neurological condition himself, is more interested in the human cost of the disease rather than the exact mechanisms.

DrSlump612 gave this to me for the Mediceine chest, and it is a good pair with Deadly Feasts http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/11788609/

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, September 30, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/30/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put into The Medicine Chest Bookbox IV to look for a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 10, 2013

I'm taking this from the Medicine Chest bookbox - thanks! I read Deadly Feasts a while back, and it should be interesting to compare this author's viewpoint.

Later: Very intriguing mix of the study of prions and the horrifying ailments they cause, and the very personal impact of one such ailment on many generations of the titular family. The story weaves back and forth between the personal anecdotes and history of the family, along with the horrors of their disease, and the long, tangled history of prion-caused ailments, including bits about the selective breeding of farm animals and the use of meat-processing by-products to feed animals. Along the way, some of the steps taken by researchers - including stealthily pocketing brain samples for further study - were rather eye-opening...

I knew some of the subject matter from previous reading, but I did find this book compelling. Thanks for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 30, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (12/31/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer hyphen8 in Hawaii to fill a wish. Enjoy!

*** Released as part of the D for December release challenge. ***

*** Released as part of the What's in a Name release challenge, for the embedded "Lee" in the title. ***

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Oh goodie, a surprise RABCK in the mail today - thank you very much!

Prions are a fascinating (if rather creepy) subject. My mom's aunt died of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (they don't know where/how she got it) - her family said it only proved she really was one in a million.

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, January 24, 2014

So...virtually nothing can destroy a prion. Which means that the bodies of the victims of prion diseases are permanently toxic waste? Even cremation won't take care of it. Wow. It's like the stories about digging up victims of the 1910 flu pandemic and whether or not they might still have viable flu viruses...shiver.

The frustration on both sides (patient & doctor) and the scattershot misdiagnoses are quite a story - imagine being told you must be an alcoholic because that's what your symptoms indicate!

As for the researchers, their story sounds like it could be a soap opera: pedophilia, sample stealing, conflicts over credit..and of course only "sexy" diseases get research funding.

This book had several references to von Economo's disease (encephalitis lethargica) - fortunately, I have a book about that on my TBR stack, so I can satisfy some of my curiosity about that too!

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 18, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/19/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out in quietorchid's Medicine Chest V box - go book, go!

Journal Entry 9 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 21, 2015

Taking from quietorchid's Medicine Chest V Bookbox.