corner corner Beauty (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)

Beauty (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by Sheri S. Tepper | Literature & Fiction
Registered by elstaplador of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 8/26/2013

status (set by elstaplador): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by elstaplador from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 26, 2013

Dear reader, dear finder - thank you for coming here to see where this book has been so far. I hope you enjoy it! Do feel free to leave a journal entry below saying where you found this, what you thought of it, and what you intend to do with it.

This is Team Ruritania's entry in the Tumbling event of the BookCrossing Olympics (http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tumbling.html)

Journal Entry 2 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, August 26, 2013

An odd book, sitting uncomfortably on the fence between fantasy, sci-fi, allegory and historical fiction, and not really convincing me in any of them. Beauty, who through a mistake that turns out not to be a mistake is not Sleeping, finds herself in the twenty-second century, and then in a whole lot of other times and places, with a mission to complete...

As hinted above, this story never really drew me in; it never seemed real to me. I appreciated, on an intellectual level, the nods to other fairy tales and folklore, but the atmosphere never seemed right. I couldn't believe in any of it, and it took a hefty, and exhausting, suspension of disbelief to make it all the way to the end.

Plus the heroine kept dissing pilgrimage in general and Margery Kempe in particular, which is not a way to get on my good side.

Journal Entry 3 by elstaplador at Railway Station in Reigate, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, August 26, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/26/2013 UTC) at Railway Station in Reigate, Surrey United Kingdom

This book has been released as part of the BookCrossing.com project, which allows readers to follow the books they've loved and passed on as they travel through the wild. If you enjoy this book, please consider leaving a journal entry below saying where you found it, what you thought of it, and where it might be going next.