corner corner The Princes in the Tower

The Princes in the Tower
by Alison Weir | History
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 8/7/2013

status (set by elizardbreath): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
Despite five centuries of investigation by historians, the sinister deaths of the boy king Edward V and his younger brother Richard, Duke of York, remain two of the most fascinating murder mysteries in English history. Did Richard III really kill "the Princes in the Tower," as is commonly believed, or was the murderer someone else entirely? Carefully examining every shred of contemporary evidence as well as dozens of modern accounts, English historian Alison Weir reconstructs the entire chain of events leading to the double murder.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Rockledge, Florida USA on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (12/5/2013 UTC) at Rockledge, Florida USA

Sent on as requested for the NonFic VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thanks for sending this, I've always wanted to learn more about this story.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

This was particularly fascinating because the skeleton of Richard III was found last year under a car park at the sight of an old monastery. This is, in fact, where he was buried after the Battle of Bosworth. The skeletons of the Princes in the Tower were found at an earlier time right where they were suspected to be, buried under the rubble 10 ft. down under a staircase in the Tower of London.
I think that this is remarkable, that so much history can be put together accurately enough that science later bears it out. Richard had scoliosis, which is what I suspected from the "one shoulder higher than the other" description. He wasn't a hunchback or ugly.
What is ugly is the constant treachery that went on as royals competed for the crown. Like a game of football where everyone has a sharp knife, wears a disguise and the crown is the football. Losers are beheaded. Their fans are stripped of worldly goods and jobs, their family is ostracized and perhaps imprisoned without trial for life. Oh so ugly! England seems so tame now by comparison; no one is getting burned at the stake or beheaded anymore. As far as I know the royals are fairly well behaved now, but what a tradition they come from! It would be like if William came to the throne, Harry killed him and had his little guy put in the Tower of London, took all of Kate's wealth and sent her to a monastery. Who wears the crown now, heh, heh, heh! What I did like is that the royals at that time fought their own battles. Richard III died on the battlefield but he was the last one, I guess as civilization advanced the rulers of lands starting considering their own persons too valuable to risk being in a battle. Can't we put Obama on a battlefield somewhere? Or perhaps a cage fight with his favorite enemy?
This book is fascinating and well written.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, March 08, 2015

I am listing this in the ABC VBB

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015

This was selected by rhythmbiscuit from the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, April 20, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (4/20/2015 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Selected by rhythmbiscuit from the ABC VBB. It is on its way to her now.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, May 03, 2015

Thank you, Booksandmusic, for this book. I enjoy English history, and I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 9 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, December 11, 2017

I read this book, and I enjoyed it, although it was confusing to keep some characters straight, especially since so many people were named either Edward or Richard.

Weir reaches the conclusion that I expected her to reach, so I'm not sure what was so groundbreaking about her contribution to this long-debated "mystery."

I agree with BooksandMusic about it being fascinating that science supports details from historical record, and also about how colorful and murderous was once the battle for the throne.

I've reserved this book for a nonfiction VBB. Thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/28/2018 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

I'm mailing this book as part of the Nonfiction VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Monday, March 12, 2018

Yay!! I'm really looking forward to reading this. I've spent the last 8 months or so introducing myself to Tudor history---even meeting the president of the Richard III society in England last time I went! I know I'll enjoy another fun Weir history tale.