corner corner A Kestrel for a Knave (The Times newspaper editions)

A Kestrel for a Knave (The Times newspaper editions)
by Barry Hines | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 8/6/2013

status (set by ApoloniaX): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Life is tough and cheerless for Billy Casper, a disillusioned teenager growing up in a small Yorkshire mining town. Violence is commonplace and he is frequently cold and hungry. Yet he is determined to be a survivor and when he finds Kes, a kestrel hawk he discovers a passion in life. Billy identifies with her proud silence and she inspired in him the trust and love that nothing else can.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 23, 2013

I don't think I've seen the whole of the film "Kes" - all I can recall is the football match with Brian Glover as the PE teacher & of course the heartbreaking ending - & this short book brings those scenes - & more - to life beautifully, evocatively & emotionally. Some of the school scenes made my blood boil & poor, poor Billy in the showers after football - I often feel sorry for teachers today trying to maintain discipline but these bullies are the other extreme! Billy's love for Kes shines through, a fact which makes the end all the more moving. A little Yorkshire gem indeed :o)

Will release at the Leeds UnConvention as part of three different challenges.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/27/2013 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2013 in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

A book set in Yorkshire to be released onto the buffet table at the BCUK Unconvention. If it's not picked up by a bookcrosser it will be released into the wild when we undertake our release walk......wherever you found it please let us know it's safe with you :o)

Released as part of the SEPTEMBER SAPPHIRE Challenge (#41),
the "YOU'RE SUCH AN ANIMAL" Challenge (#27)
& the 2013 MOVIE BOOKS Challenge (#33)

Journal Entry 4 by ApoloniaX at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 29, 2013

One of the left-over books from the Leeds UnConvention's book tables...

Journal Entry 5 by ApoloniaX at -- Somewhere in York in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/30/2013 UTC) at -- Somewhere in York in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Released somewhere in York...