corner corner Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
by Jamie Ford | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 12/6/2014

status (set by melydia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 06, 2014

I selected this book from The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc., an organization whose mission it is to put books into the hands of those who want them.

Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, September 12, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/13/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I read another copy of this same book four months ago. I wrote this after I read it...

----------------------------

This was quite a delightful read. I've read novels in the past about the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II into special camps away from the west coast. However, the other books I read were focused on the "white" American point of view. This book has the protagonist Henry Lee, a 13-year-old American boy of Chinese descent, who befriends the Japanese girl Keiko Okabe because they are the only two Asian students in their "white" school. The story deals with Henry's father's antagonistic attitude to his son's friendship with a Japanese girl for precisely the same reasons many "white" Americans felt antagonistic towards people of Japanese descent at that time.

I loved how detailed the story was in presenting the plight of the Japanese Americans who were then living in Seattle. This novel was also a testimony to two dear friendships: that of Henry and Keiko, as well as that of Henry with adult black saxophone player Sheldon Thomas who played the streets at first and then later the jazz clubs of Seattle.

I found that it took me an extraordinarily long time to read this book. I think that had much to do with the fact that there were numerous very short chapters. I often tend to stop reading at the end of chapters. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to read through to the end of the story and found the ending very satisfying.

-------------------------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Thank you for returning this book to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720). I'll be saving it to go out for Round #2.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (12/29/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

Going out for Round #2...

--------------------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Soho Tea & Coffee (Dupont Circle) in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, January 31, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (1/31/2016 UTC) at Soho Tea & Coffee (Dupont Circle) in Washington, District of Columbia USA

I'm releasing this book at Soho Tea & Coffee at a meet-up of BCinDC, my local BookCrossing group. What fun!

Welcome to BookCrossing, where we make the whole world a library!

Please make a journal entry so we know this book was found. Join BookCrossing (free!) so you can now follow this book's travels. It's fun, and your information will never be shared or sold. As you join, consider listing SqueakyChu as your referring person. Take time to read this book; then make another journal entry to record your thoughts about it. This book is now yours to keep or share with someone else. If you release it, make a release note to let us know where it is traveling.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 31, 2016

Picked this up at today's meetup in Washington, DC. It came highly recommended.

Journal Entry 8 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 03, 2017

A Chinese-American boy befriends a Japanese-American girl in Seattle in the early 1940s. Then Pearl Harbor happens, and rampant racism, and Japanese internment camps. The story begins with our main character discovering that a lot of the belongings of the Japanese citizens, put in the basement of a hotel for safekeeping decades before, are still there. This is a story about love and war and music and memories. I worried it would be terribly sad and frustrating at the end, but it wasn't. It was actually very sweet. An overall satisfying read.

Journal Entry 9 by melydia at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/25/2017 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Taking to today's BCinDC meetup. If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelf.

Welcome to BookCrossing!