corner corner Red Prophet (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 2)

Red Prophet (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 2)
by Orson Scott Card | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by N8an of Ottawa, Ontario Canada on 12/14/2003

status (set by N8an): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by N8an from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 14, 2003

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Damnit. Addicted to another series due to a "reprint" at $3.99. I'm such a sucker.

Journal Entry 2 by N8an from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 01, 2004

This is the second book in the 'Alvin Maker' series by Orson Scott Card, which began in "Seventh Son." Alvin was prenticed off to a blacksmith, and at the start of this novel, he's on his way when he's ambushed by Reds and stolen away.

Card is writing a very alternate history of North America, with figures and places that match history, but always twisted just slightly. The Hio River, the Mizzipy, and so forth all make me trip up on my mental tongue sometimes (in fact, I would rather have had Ohio and Mississipi, as it was quite distracting). This world, however, has something different to it: magic, in all its forms, be they faith, nature, hexes, superstition, knacks, etc, all of it works. So when Alvin, the seventh son of a seventh son, shows the same ability to speak and wield the powers of the land like any Red (read: Natives), he is taken by Ta-Kumsaw, and woven into a story that threatens to be bigger than all of them - and likely a tale that will soak the ground with blood.

Very well done, but in places, as I said, the tendancy to use almost-right names and locations drove me nuts. I'll keep reading the series (and am looking forward to doing so), but I think I need a break from it.

Best Line: Cause there's no fear of future in the song of life, just the ever-joyful present moment. That's all I want right now, thought Alvin. The present moment, which is good enough.

Journal Entry 3 by N8an at -- Bus Stop (details in notes) in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 01, 2004

Released on Thursday, January 01, 2004 at OC Transpo Bus Stop at South Keys in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

Will be left on top of a pay-phone, sometime around 3:45 to 4:00 pm or so. Happy new year!