corner corner Purge

Purge
by Sofi Oksanen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by spy-there of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 6/23/2013

status (set by spy-there): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, June 23, 2013

a gift from manuma (who thinks that I still have not enough books ;) It's a finnish author of whom I never heard. Hm ... let's see.

Journal Entry 2 by spy-there at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Oksanen is for sure the most attractive writer of all times. Her novel is rather the opposite: A nasty, sad and claustrophobic story of jealousy and betrayal on the background of WW2 and the sowjet occupation of Estonia.
None of the characters is likeable. It's the old story of envious women who deceive each other instead of holding together. I couldn't really warm for the book. Everything was so over dramatized, like e.g. «Her mouth opened in a yell, but only a whisper came out.» Or howlers as «The beginning of the story she had just made up was struggling to get away, and Zara's mind lunged after it and grabbed it by the paws.»

This Zara got a bit on my nerves anyway. She flees through the nightly forest in high heels (!) lol ... probably teeters the whole night like a heron over roots and undergrowth, instead of rid herself of those stilettos. As a kind of a drama queen she keeps overreacting and falling „powerless to the floor“. At some point you take her for a basket case. Zara wants to become a doctor? This goes over my imagination.

I later learnt that the novel was previously a theatre play. Indeed. If you see it as a stage drama all the exaggerations make more sense. Strange to write a novel from a theatre play. It's generally the other way round. Also I'm used to see a movie before my inner eye when I'm reading a book, not a theatre.
A pity she didn't recount more of the historical background which I found rather more interesting than the spiteful interaction of abominable people. It's a bleak, depressing book about unrequited love, disenchantment and vengeance.

Journal Entry 3 by spy-there at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (8/20/2013 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

This is Vegania's book forTumblingTumbling. Oksanen was completely new to me.

Dear finder,

please write a brief entry, that you have found the book. You can do this anonymous, but it's much more fun for you if you create a Bookcrossing account. You will get then an notification every time when one of "your" books has been found by another reader. And it's still anonymous; Bookcrossing will never publish email addresses.

hope you'll enroll at Bookcrossing ;)
-spy