corner corner Chutney Power (Macmillan Caribbean Writers)

Chutney Power (Macmillan Caribbean Writers)
by Willi Chen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 6/16/2013

status (set by book-a-billy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 16, 2013

From the back: This collection includes some exuberantly comic stories, featuring endearing pathos-tinged clowns such as Prakash, the bottle-washer who nearly danced. But there are also stories of violence and passion: of Deolat, who loved the wrong woman; of Mano, who went to steal with the wrong partners; of Sharon, who ran on the beach at the wrong time of night. And there are stories of poverty and betrayal: men deserting their families, women struggling to survive, children sadly deprived. Yet there are triumphs too: not least that of Bhim, the mere caneworker determined to become King of Carnival.

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hm, not sure about these. Yes, they were partly comic, partly sad, partly violent and all the other things mentioned in the description, but still I wasn't really happy with them. But I believe that this is mostly due to the fact that I lost track on the Caribbean language and all the special terms (despite of the glossary). The story I liked best was Chanka's Backpay although I suspected something like the real end quite early.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFraukeRowing at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thank you for sending me a package of books!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFraukeRowing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, February 22, 2016

I liked this collection. Getting used to the language was tricky, but since the book consists of several quite short stories it was easy to read only a few 'bites' every day. I enjoyed these glimpses into a world I have never really considered before - this is the first work from Trinidad that I have ever read. The stories really are quite vibrant and almost as colourful and amazing as the cover art :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingFraukeRowing at BookBox in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, March 26, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/26/2016 UTC) at BookBox in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

Dieses Buch reist in der Länderbox mit (Trinidad, Mittelamerika). Viel Spaß beim Lesen!

Travelling in the „country box“ – enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by book-a-billy at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I took this book from efells "Länderbox. You'll hear from it again when I have read it.