corner corner Four Courts Murder, The

by Andrew Nugent | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by aetm of Austin, Texas USA on 6/4/2013

status (set by iwillrejoice): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

A new refreshing discovery for me, an Irish detective...
(Found in Joshua Tree in Ireland, where a bunch of my traveling books were set free to look for their next readers).

A bit of the old skool court drama, and a lot of modern take of police procedural. An interesting fabric of people, and places and atmosphere that is just Irish Dublin.
Also, fantastic use of language and subtle humor.

Copypasta for the storyline (that's accurate enough without spoilers):

"Justice Sidney Piggott was, everyone in Dublin's law professions agreed, designer-made for being throttled. If ever there was a judge more disliked---make that hated---in the courts of Ireland's capital city, no one knew his (or her) name. So when it comes to finding out who is responsible for the judge's demise, the number of possible suspects makes the task more difficult.

However, Inspector Denis Lennon and his sergeant, Molly Power, are given a lead. On the day of the murder, more than one person saw a mysterious young visitor lurking in the courtroom where Piggott was presiding over a thoroughly boring trial. Who was he? Why was he there? For whatever reason, Inspector, you have your killer. Except that neither Denis nor Molly feel right about jumping to that conclusion. The young man himself, whose thoughts the reader is privy to, is unsure whether he killed Piggott or only imagined it.

With tongue lightly in cheek, Nugent takes his reader from the Four Courts, Dublin's center of law, to rural Ireland, where a local priest has been killed, either by the young man or by a horse. The author introduces us to a married couple who specialize in stolen art and are somehow involved with Piggott.

Bring in a series of high and low Irish characters, add a delightful young Dutch student who gives Molly unexpected assistance, stir them together, and you have a highly seasoned story in unusual settings, told with a small twinkle that will endear readers to this new author."

Journal Entry 2 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/28/2013 UTC) at Austin, Texas USA

Mailed to eponine38 who picked this from the VBB - I hope you'll like this book :)
Eta for arrival next Friday, tracking # 9114901159818643153515

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

"Don't ever apologize to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologize to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read... "
— Neil Gaiman

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, October 04, 2013

Thanks so much, aetm! Loved the packaging, too :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 30, 2016

I really enjoyed this! The humor was just the kind I like, subtle and Irish. I liked the characters and the (mostly) Dublin setting, especially reading about Irish court proceedings.

There's not much to add to aetm's comprehensive review, other than to say that I recommend this book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/3/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On the way to its next reader in Florida. Safe travels!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, May 05, 2016

Arrived safely today. Thank you so much for sending me this book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, October 09, 2016

I enjoyed this one. I like a good mystery, & I enjoyed the humor. Thanks for sharing!

Reserved for a VBB.