corner corner Salt

Salt
by Earl Lovelace | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/28/2013

status (set by FraukeRo): available

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

From the book: Set in Trinidad, the story is launched by the mythical tale of Guinea John, an ancestor of Blackpeople, who put two corn cobs under his armpits and flew from a clifftop, away from the scene of his enslavement, back to Africa. His descendants have eaten salt, grown to heavy to fly, and cannot follow him. They are left to wrestle with their future on the island. Now, more than one hundred years after "Emancipation," like all the people who share the island – Asians, Africans, and Europeans – they need to be weaned from old captivities and welcomed into the New World.
Addressing the callenge of this liberating welcome are Alford George, schoolteacher turned politician; Bango Durity, laborer and acitivist; and a swirl of unforgettable men and women – minor characters of major proportions – telling their stories in their own voices; all striving with passion and wit to make sense of their lives in the still-young country where the roles of the enslaved and landowner still linger, but "the sky, the sea, every green leaf and tangle of vines sing freedom."

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Well, I can see, why this novel won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, but I think Lovelace had put in too much: history, slavery, inter-racial relations, gender aspects, education, religion, ... All of these interesting and important aspects which deserve consideration but I've got the impression that Lovelace rushed through them just for mentioning them. This impression was strengthend by the structure of the novel switching between a couple of narrators switching from a third- to a first-person narrator from one sentence to the next (and I'm still not sure who "I" was in each and every case). In the end the chapters recalling the family histories of some actors lost connection between them a little bit, they just seemed to put in an arbitrary order for the sake of being there. I liked the beginning with Guinea John very much and was a little bit disappointed that Lovelace lost this track later on. So it was interesting, yes, but also a bit fatiguing.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFraukeRowing at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Vielen Dank für das Bücherpaket!!!