corner corner Gate of the Sun

Gate of the Sun
by Elias Khoury | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/12/2013

status (set by lilith89): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 12, 2013

From the back: In a makeshift hospital in a refugee camp on the outskirts of Beirtu, Yunis, an ageing Palestinian freedom fighter, lies in a coma. His spiritual son Dr Khaleel – who has no real medical qualifications – nurses the older man, refusing to admit that his hero may never regain consciousness.
In an attempt to revive his patient, Khaleel begins telling Yunis the stories of their people's exile in Lebanon. He evokes deserted peasant villages, the suffering caused by the Lebanese civil war and the refugees' hope to return home with a subtle mixture of anger and compassion. Khaleel also narrates Yunis' own extraordinary life.
Interweaving many true-life tales collected throughout Lebanon and its refugee camps over the course of seven years, Elias Khoury has created a monumental and spellbinding saga.

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Not sure whether I would call it brilliant and epic as suggested by the blurbs, but impressive it was. Only I got lost in chronology and between the innumerable number of villages, which might not be a problem for Palestinians as part of their recent history but for me as a simply interested reader. And again I had the impression that the women are the really strong people in these societies without whom the families wouldn't exist as they do. This might be wrong, but nevertheless it's something I felt in these pages.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFraukeRowing at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Vielen Dank für das Bücherpaket!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFraukeRowing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, August 22, 2016

I was quite confused by the many different storylines. It sure doesn't help that all the names of places and characters sound very similar to me. I guess this book was not written with "outsiders" in mind who might not know much about Palestinian history. Nevertheless the "insider" narrative is of course very intriguing to read, even if I didn't get all of the details. It took me long to finish the book, but the stories fascinated me enough to finish it after all.

Journal Entry 5 by lilith89 at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Got this at the bookcrossing event :)

Journal Entry 6 by lilith89 at Fröken Olssons Kafe in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, February 20, 2017

Released 11 mos ago (2/22/2017 UTC) at Fröken Olssons Kafe in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

I really thought it would be an interesting read but I can not find it to finish. I have no idea why. It's not a bad book, I guess it is just not for me.