corner corner A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear

A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear
by Atiq Rahimi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/11/2013

status (set by FraukeRo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 11, 2013

From the back: Kabul, 1979. A student wakes in an unfamiliar house, battered and bruised. He gradually recovers his mind to discover that returning from a night out he was brutally attacked by soldiers and left to die.
Farhad, the tragic hero of this nightmarish tale, realises that he can now never return home: to do so would be to risk the lives of his family. As he waits for an answer to his plight he learns the tragic story of the woman who has saved him, endangering her own life in the process, and begins to feel an impossible and forbidden love for her – a love that embodies an angry compassion for the suffering of Afghanistan's women, and the yearning for a lost home.

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 11, 2013

By the constantly shifting perspective of Farhad, oscillating between his memory of the events, the conviction of having already died, the impression of being in a nightmare, the stepwise regaining of his conscience and by that realizing his environment and understanding his situation a very impressive picture is created. It's not only true for the Afghanistan of this time but, I'm sure, also for other repressive regimes where people are treated in similar ways. I've read Rahimi's Earth and ashes some time ago and was impressed by his ability for concentrating so much in a relatively short text, something he's repeating here, there's simply no needless word. Brilliant!

Journal Entry 3 by FraukeRo at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Vielen Dank für das Bücherpaket!!!

Journal Entry 4 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, December 07, 2015

This was an awful story, and an incredibly well written book. The gloomy, eerie and confusing atmosphere starts on the first page and never really stops. I can't say that I really liked the story, it just felt too confusing and too depressing to read. Nevertheless I was very impressed by this book at the same time. With just few sentences, the author manages to convey an atmosphere of fright and desperation that feels nauseating even to read - I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to actually go through something like Farhad's experiences.

Edit in June 2016: I had borrowed this book to a friend, now it is back with me and ready to move on.

Journal Entry 5 by FraukeRo at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/29/2016 UTC) at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Moving on after the meetup - enjoy :-)