corner corner The Fade

The Fade
by Chris Wooding | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingrureadingwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 5/11/2013

status (set by Eri-Cherry): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingrureadingwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

I liked the character of Orna and the first half of the book was interesting but I thought it slowed and lost focus a bit in the middle. A good ending but I was disappointed with Orna's part in the climax.
...
This book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world. Read it, share it, and pass it on! Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 3 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Grabbed at Calgary bookcrossing meeting today

Journal Entry 4 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (12/29/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I have, sadly, not found time to read this, but I'm bringing it back to the Calgary Bookcrossing Group to see if someone with more time wants to give it a try.

Journal Entry 5 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 01, 2017

I am returning this from the latest Calgary Bookcrossing group meeting. Hopefully I'll get through it before the next one.

Journal Entry 6 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 10, 2017

I loved the world building. It was incredibly unique and and creative and it was beautifully described. And the overall thriller tale was incredibly compelling, even when it was a bit slow to start.

But the ending was just depressing.

I've read thrillers with let down endings that are bittersweet, or make a wider point, but this was just sort of crushing on top of everthing else Orna went through, and, because there was only a chapter worth of wrap up, I never felt like the effects of the twist ending were fully paid off either on Orna or on the world as a whole. As far as I can tell, this isn't the first in a series, so this isn't set up for something that happens down the line, it just sort of decides to throw that one last punch and then quit on you.

Journal Entry 7 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, December 26, 2017

I loved every single part of this but the ending.

The world building is incredibly cool, the premise is wonderful, I loved the characters. But nothing about this set it up to be as much of a downer ending as it was. It very suddenly ends very badly in a way that totally changes the tone of the entire book and completely changes how I thought about Orna, but the book ends almost immediately afterwards so there's no time to actually play out what might have happened. So I kind of felt like I was completely having the rug pulled out from under me, and it was very disheartening.

Journal Entry 8 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (12/30/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I'm taking this back to the Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 17, 2018

missed journalling this one too, whoops!

Journal Entry 10 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (4/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the April meeting! Rachel brought this back at Christmas and while I completely didn't remember putting my name on it and spent the first couple of pages regretting it, putting it down then picking it back up again was completely worthwhile! This puts a cool new twist on what looks at the beginning to be a tired YA trope and supports it with beautiful world building.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Picked up at get together