corner corner The Winter Ghosts

The Winter Ghosts
by Kate Mosse | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Gealach of Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on 5/6/2013

status (set by Gealach): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Gealach from Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, May 06, 2013

Nice little ghost story :-)

"The Great War took much more than lives. It robbed a generation of friends, lovers and futures. In Freddie Watson's case, it took his beloved brother and, at times, his peace of mind. Unable to cope with his grief, Freddie has spent much of the time since in a sanatorium. In the winter of 1928, still seeking resolution, Freddie is travelling through the French Pyrenees - another region that has seen too much bloodshed over the years. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. Shaken, he stumbles into the woods, emerging by a tiny village. There he meets Fabrissa, a beautiful local woman, also mourning a lost generation. Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories of remembrance and loss. By the time dawn breaks, he will have stumbled across a tragic mystery that goes back through the centuries. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage."

Journal Entry 2 by Gealach at Espressohouse Vasagatan15 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, May 06, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (5/6/2013 UTC) at Espressohouse Vasagatan15 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

I will bring it to the meetup at Espresso House this afternoon. If nobody takes it, I will leave it in the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by Gealach at Norrmalm, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, May 06, 2013

I took it home again, instead of leaving it in the shelf.

I decided to start a bookring, which I haven't done for a very long time now.

Journal Entry 4 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, May 06, 2013

Bookring: (I may rearrange the order of the ring according to the members' shipping preferences)

1. Bookworm-lady (Spain, can ship anywhere)
2. Billbooks (Australia, can ship anywhere)
3. Nordpirat (Sweden, ships within Sweden only)
4. hingrald (last)
...etc.

...and then back to me! :-D

Journal Entry 5 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sent to Bookworm-lady

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, May 31, 2013

Received today; thank you very much for sharing this book.
I have some TBRs before this one, but I am looking forward to reading it and sending it on its way. :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Currently reading it.
I'm half-way through it, and it is beautiful and disturbing at the same time.
I will ask for Bilbooks' address, and it will soon be on its way to Australia.
So glad you didn't leave it on a shelf, Gealach!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, November 02, 2013

A lovely ghost story, easy to read and beautifully written.
Although not much of a mystery, as you can guess what is happening from the start, it keeps you hooked nevertheless.
A lovely story with a historical basis.
Thanks for sharing, Gealach. The book will soon be on its way to Billbooks in Australia.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (11/7/2013 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today with another bookray book and a couple of "extra somethings" to Billbooks, in Australia.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book has arrived safe and sound in Australia. Many thanks to Bookworm-lady for the gifts as well. Will report back soon

Journal Entry 11 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Interesting read about grief and loss. The historical context I knew nothing about so always happy to learn new things. Happy to recommend this to anyone. Now off to Sweden

Journal Entry 12 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, December 16, 2013

Arrived in Sweden.

Journal Entry 13 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, December 19, 2013

I sort of fell in love with this story.
I was totally enchanted by the beautiful, almost hypnotic, language. When I read something happened that very rarely happens to me when I read. I could hear a voice in my mind reading the story. My mind drew a picture of Fredrick Watson and his face and his calm voice followed me throughout the story. I can not recall something like this has ever happened to me before. Magical! :-)

The story was in a way a classical and quite typical ghost story. Does that mean I found it predictable? I did, but I actually don't mind.
The story was more than just a ghost story. The story of a man and his inner journey through loss and grief. The story of a village and of how history can leave an imprint. I found the descriptions of both humans and the landscape really beautiful.

This book is a gem that will stay in my heart. Thank you Gealach for sharing it!

Journal Entry 14 by wingNordpiratwing at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (12/19/2013 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

Mot nästa läsare...

Journal Entry 15 by winghingraldwing at Motala, Östergötland Sweden on Monday, December 23, 2013

Arrived in Motala like a Christmas Gift. Thank you.

edit: start reading 21 Januar 2014

Journal Entry 16 by winghingraldwing at Motala, Östergötland Sweden on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing. I was unpleasantly affected by the car accident because I once dreamt I was hanging from a bridge with my car and my dog nearly fell out from the backdoors. I can tolerate ghost stories much better. The historical story was very interesting. The book travels home today.

Journal Entry 17 by winghingraldwing at a BookRing, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (1/28/2014 UTC) at a BookRing, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Boken är på väg hem till sin ägare. Tack för lånet.

Journal Entry 18 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Arrived safely home this afternoon! Thank you for joining the ring! :-D

Journal Entry 19 by Gealach at Espresso House Vasagatan 15 in Stockholm, Uppland Sweden on Monday, February 03, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (2/12/2014 UTC) at Espresso House Vasagatan 15 in Stockholm, Uppland Sweden

Tar med mig till fikaträffen på Espresso House den 12 februari kl. 18.00, den hamnar i hyllan där om ingen tar den med sig.