corner corner The Eight

The Eight
by Katherine Neville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by melydia of Centreville, Virginia USA on 5/5/2013

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 05, 2013

Picked up at The Book Thing in Baltimore, MD.

This is my second time reading this book and it was amazing all over again. Like all of Neville's novels, two stories are interweaved: one in the present (in this case, the 1970's) and one in the past (late 18th century). Two women, a computer expert and nun, attempt each in their respective time periods to unravel the mystery behind a powerful and much-coveted ancient chess set, the Montglane Service. This book is full of action and romance, suspense and memorable characters. The number of famous historical figures who show up does border on the absurd, but I was too busy having a good time to nitpick. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Side note for those who've read the book: my sister was in love with Solarin, but my heart belongs to Nim. :)

Journal Entry 2 by melydia at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, May 06, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

This book will be available at the BookCrossing table at the 2013 Gaithersburg Book Festival in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, May 27, 2013

Enjoyed this book a lot. Great action, well-written and just plain fun to read.