corner corner Shape-shifter

Shape-shifter
by Pauline Melville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/5/2013

status (set by holle77): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 05, 2013

From the back: From Comrade Shakespeare McNab who enlists the help of La Diablesse to retrieve his faltering career at a Caribbean broadcasting station, to the 14-year-old English girl who develops a terror of infinity; from the electrifying description of a woman attacked as she lies sleeping, to the lyrical exploration of myths of El Dorado, Pauline Melville lures the reader into intriguingly different worlds. The sheer malevolence of everyday life is offset with hilarity, making these stories both unsettling and funny.

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 05, 2013

I really liked these stories, different as they were in themselves. All of them have at least one interesting twist which not always mean they get funny in the end but always surprising. My favourites in this collection are I do not take messages from dead people (the story about comrade Shakespeare McNab mentioned in the book description), Tuxedo (about a quite unfortunate like-to-be-burglar), and Eat labba and drink creek water (the final story with the references to El Dorado). But there was no story which really disappointed me, Pauline Melville definitely knows how to write good stories, I will look out for her other works.

Journal Entry 3 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, May 13, 2013

Thanks for sending.