corner corner As You Like It

As You Like It
by Wiliam Shakespeare | Literature & Fiction
Registered by katalirob of Columbus, Georgia USA on Saturday, December 06, 2003

status (set by DrSlump612): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by katalirob from Columbus, Georgia USA on Saturday, December 06, 2003

This is the epitome of the romantic comedy. In this play, Shakespeare jokes about love and manages to come off as neither cynical nor sentimental. I got it at a library book sale, so it's already done a little traveling.

Journal Entry 2 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 13, 2004

folger library edition. got this as a trade for -she's come undone-. just read -the tempest-, so it'll prob. be a while before i read this. thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2005

finished this today. like -the tempest- i wasn't that impressed w/ this play. it seemed overly simple and the stock shakespearean elements are not really superior here. the exceptions are the witty cross-dressing rosalind and the oftentimes funny clown/fool touchstone. all in all prob. not really worth rereading anytime soon, but i'm glad i can cross it off my list of shakespeare plays to read.

Journal Entry 4 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

adding to classics bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, February 23, 2012

This book came back in my "Classics Bookbox".

I've got a copy of this play somewhere and I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but to be honest I can' t always remember which romantic comedy plot belongs to which title.

Journal Entry 6 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, February 27, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/27/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Putting back into my Classics Bookbox for Round II!

Journal Entry 7 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Chosen from k00kaburra's Classics Bookbox

Journal Entry 8 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

This was the first Shakespeare play I ever read, which was a great piece of good luck. Its frothy, unsuspenseful plot and light-hearted dialogue make it a perfect introduction. And the character of Rosalind, smart, funny, strong, remains one of my favorites in all of literature - Lizzy Bennet without the social constraints. It was quite satisfying to check and discover that yes, Katherine Hepburn did play this role on stage.

This particular edition brings a thorough set of footnotes, in fact so many that they are printed on the facing page. At first I was annoyed, since lots of them were explanations of words that were easy to figure out from context. But on the other hand, there were some very good notes about classical allusions that I would have completely missed, so on balance I was glad to have them.

But that's just one person's opinion. Future readers, what do YOU think of this book?

Journal Entry 9 by wingJudySlump612wing at a fellow bookcrosser, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/17/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases

Shared with DrSlump612 at our monthly Twin Cities meetup

Journal Entry 10 by wingDrSlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 18, 2012

I don't believe I've ever read this - so caught at the meetup.