corner corner The New Windmill Book of Greek Myths (New Windmills)

The New Windmill Book of Greek Myths (New Windmills)
by Geraldine McCaughrean | Children's Books
Registered by foxy737 of Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on 4/22/2013

status (set by Merolia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by foxy737 from Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Reserving to use for one of Vekiki's Olympic challenges (closest releases to Athens)
Posting to an Athens bookcrosser to release on our behalf.

Book Synopsis
This selection of 16 Greek myths provides tales of adventure, courage and mystery. Geraldine McCaughrean's re-telling makes them accessible for Key Stage 3 pupils.

Journal Entry 2 by foxy737 at Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Posting to an Athens bookcrosser to release as Wrestling event on our behalf.

Team Yorkshire made up a goody bag including book of Greek Myths, a small paper Greek flag, a Coca Cola pin badge celebrating Athens 1896 Olympics (obviously made at a later date) and a UK royal mint Olympic 2012 Wrestling version 50p.

This goody bag was then packaged up and posted to an Athens based bookcrosser who had agreed to release on our behalf.

Happy hunting if already bookcrossing member but if this is all new to you please read paragraph below for more info

Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, please make a journal entry so that I know this book has been found and what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and your e-mail address is never given out) please say foxy737 referred you. Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by foxy737 at Athens, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 29, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (7/30/2013 UTC) at Athens, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Releasing to use for one of Vekiki's Olympic challenges (closest releases to Athens)
Posting to an Athens bookcrosser to release as Wrestling event on our behalf.

Journal Entry 4 by wingMeroliawing at Halandri, Attica Greece on Friday, August 09, 2013

This arrived safely and is waiting to be realeased according to the challenge!

Journal Entry 5 by wingMeroliawing at Panathinaiko Stadium in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (8/11/2013 UTC) at Panathinaiko Stadium in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

I restrained myself from snatching anything and the nice little goody bag was released properly for Vekiki's Wrestling Challenge of the BC Olympic release challenge, on behalf of Yorkshire team. I left it on Sunday evening outside the Panathenaic Stadium of Athens, also called Kallimarmaron (=beautifully marbled), the site chosen to host the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. Pictures and information can be found here: http://www.panathenaicstadium.gr/HomePage/tabid/84/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Journal Entry 6 by wingMeroliawing at Halandri, Attica Greece on Monday, August 12, 2013

And here's a little story about the release (which you are totally free to skip). I was carrying the book in my bag a whole day, because my Sunday schedule had changed unexpectedly. My friend has a friend who has a friend, who was expecting another friend (seriously) to arrive from Germany but for some reason she was to be left alone for a few hours. So, me and my (first) friend agreed to meet her and spend some time with her and show her around Athens a bit. While at the underground, I found myself explaining that the name of a station called "Dafni" is the Greek word for "laurel". The girl from Germany asked, "isn't that the name of a girl?". I realized that she was refering to Daphne of the Greek mythology. I asked her if she remembered the myth and since she didn't, I took out the mythology book from the goody bag and gave it to her to read the myth. I almost thought about giving her the book to keep, but I had agreed to leave it in a place relevant to the Olympics. When I finally reached the stadium it was getting dark -a good thing because all the burning heat of the day had finally expired. It was a lovely evening and a lot of people were happily strolling around the area, I really hope someone found it and took it home.

Good luck to Yorkshire team, thank you for letting me a part of this!