corner corner War Horse

War Horse
by Michael Morpurgo | Other
Registered by foxy737 of Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on 4/22/2013

status (set by foxy737): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by foxy737 from Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 19, 2013

A stunning wartime classic. In the deadly chaos of the First World War, one horse witnesses the reality of battle from both sides of the trenches. Bombarded by artillery, with bullets knocking riders from his back, Joey tells a powerful story of the truest friendships surviving in terrible times. 'The bedlam of battle had begun. All around me men cried and fell to the ground, and horses reared and screamed in an agony of fear and pain. The shells whined and roared overhead, and every explosion seemed like an earthquake to us.' One horse has the seen the best and the worst of humanity. The power of war and the beauty of peace. This is his story.

Journal Entry 2 by foxy737 at Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 19, 2013

Registered specifically for a release challenge but I have read this already and this was my review at the time.....

Never thought of myself as the type of person to read a horsey type tale but I really enjoyed this and would recommend this to anyone old enough to read it, though it is war based and obviously involves death of soldiers and horses along the way it is dealt with in a subtle way and I think most readers would cope with it as part of the story provided they have a basic grasp of the circle of life and that eventually everybody dies and that given the wartime setting this has a bearing on survival rates. 8/10

Journal Entry 3 by foxy737 at Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 19, 2013

Reserving to use for one of Vekiki's Olympic challenges (equestrian dressage - decorate a book) this will be decorated and released at a local riding school for the disabled
Plan some extra twists with this one once ready to release.

Happy hunting if already bookcrossing member but if this is all new to you please read paragraph below for more info

Thank you for picking up this book and logging on to the website, I hope you enjoy reading it, please make a journal entry so that I know this book has been found and what you have decided to do with the book next. If you decide to join BookCrossing (it’s free and your e-mail address is never given out) please say foxy737 referred you. Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by foxy737 at Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 26, 2013

Plan some extra twists with this one once ready to release.

Journal Entry 5 by foxy737 at Westgate, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 26, 2013

Plan some extra twists with this one once ready to release.

Journal Entry 6 by foxy737 at Thanet Disabled Riding Centre in Broadstairs, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 26, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (7/26/2013 UTC) at Thanet Disabled Riding Centre in Broadstairs, Kent United Kingdom

Releasing for one of Vekiki's Olympic challenges (equestrian dressage - decorate a book) this will be decorated and released at a local riding school for the disabled
Okay after picking the Book Warhorse I decorated the book slightly differently to other teams by giving it Medals, not Olympic gold medals but war medals (for a warhorse) and other medals the Queen uses to honour and decorate people with....
The medals our book received were
1. The PDSA Dickin Medal - medal awarded to animals in war (warhorse)
2. Victoria Cross - human equivalent to the PDSA medal
3. The Most Honourable Order of the Bath - motto "Three joined in one"
4. The Order of Merit - awarded to/for Literature (amongst other things)
And finally....
5. Order of the British Empire (OBE/MBE)..... This was given as where this release was planned tied in. The owner of Thanet Disabled Riding Centre Mrs Nora Emily Setterfield was herself awarded this honour during the Queen's Birthday honours 2013

I added a print off giving information about the medals we used for the finder ..... and since this was an Olympic challenge release I threw in an Equestrian 50p from the UK Olympic royal mint collection 2012.