corner corner The Shoemaker's Wife

by Adriana Trigiani | Literature & Fiction
Registered by rem_Ediigirl on 4/21/2013

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by rem_Ediigirl on Sunday, April 21, 2013

A lovely italian inspired read

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Caught at the Edinburgh meet up.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 24, 2013

I began this, but I am really in the mood to read something a little lighter, like her Valentine books. Rather than hang onto it, I'd rather get it moving again.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 24, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (5/24/2013 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to Inver as a bit of "Is it nearly summer yet?" rabckery. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thanking you very much for the bookswap.Added to the very large TBR pile. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 27, 2014

Started this one...about 50 pages in and really enjoying it.

Journal Entry 7 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Finished this one quite quickly and I really enjoyed it. Having read 'The Big Stone Gap' trilogy I thought I would be in for a good read and wasn't disappointed.

Based loosely on the experience of her grandparents Adriana, to me, writes this with a slight feeling of personal family history. The lives of two young people, Ciro and Enza, in Italy are transported in separate storylines over the vastness of the ocean journey to start new lives in America. From humble beginnings, circumstances separate the families and Enza and her father travel to America. Ciro has to say goodbye to his brother, and their safe home within the surrounds of the local convent, where they were left to be looked after by their mother. Fate brings them together on more than one occasion, until they eventually join in marriage.

With elements of sadness, love, faith, friendships and most of all the strong ties of the family bond, this was a gentle and touching story. From starting out with barely anything at all they make lives for themselves working hard to make things work. I liked the gentleness of the descriptions of the way of life, the surroundings etc. You really got a feel for where they lived in Italy and America.

I did shed a tear which was going to be inevitable at the end of one of chapters though, but that is life.

Yes I did enjoy this one and would recommend if you like Adriana Trigiani. So glad you sent me this RABCK bookfrogster....thank you.

Journal Entry 8 by Inver at --By Post or by Hand, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (2/26/2014 UTC) at --By Post or by Hand, Scotland United Kingdom

Sending on to LindyLouMac as it was on her Goodreads wishlist. Enjoy Linda.

Journal Entry 9 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A RABCK from my virtual friend Inver, thanks so much. I think this will climb Mt TBR fairly quickly.

Journal Entry 10 by LindyLouMac at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 07, 2017

An epic and beautiful love story taken from the real life experiences of the author's grandparents. Set in the Italian Alps and America in the early twentieth century the story follows the protagonists Ciro and Enza in alternating chapters as their lives progress from childhood to old age in this sweeping saga. No real surprises but definitely a feel good read if you enjoy this genre.

Journal Entry 11 by LindyLouMac at Air Ambulance Charity Shop in Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 09, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (12/9/2017 UTC) at Air Ambulance Charity Shop in Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading