corner corner The Church of Dead Girls

The Church of Dead Girls
by Stephen Dobyns | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Kleptokitty on 12/5/2003

status (set by dagett): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Kleptokitty on Friday, December 05, 2003

I read this before, but I can't remember allot about it other than that I enjoyed it allot. I think I'd better read it again before I let it go.

Journal Entry 2 by Kleptokitty on Wednesday, March 08, 2006

This was the second time I´d read this, a very rare occurance for me.

An excellent read which keeps the attention throughout. It´s had some good reviews, deservedly in my opinion.

This book is reserved for Yvonnep

Journal Entry 3 by yvonnep from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 25, 2006

Receiving the book, I started reading at once and forgot to make a journal entry...Thank you, Kleptokitty, this is a really compelling story! And sorry, that I didn't let you know that earlier.

Journal Entry 4 by yvonnep from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 19, 2006

In the Netherlands we have a magazine that publishes a thriller and detective guide every year. In the 2003 guide Dobyn's book got 4 stars, which is rather good. Kleptokitty send it to me. Thank you, thank you, because this really was a good read. From the cover:

"One by one, three teenage girls are abducted from a small American town. The only trace of them is their clothes returned, washed, ironed and neatly folded. With each disappearance suspicion spreads among the townsfolk, initially falling on anyone 'different'- the college Marxist group, the gay community - but soon extending to friends and neighbours, even the narrator himself. As panic grips the town, repressed desires, old angers and violent impulses rise to the surface, tearing the community apart to reveal darkness at its heart."

From time to time it read like a compelling sociological report about a village on drift. It was good. Really good, it made all its 4 stars true.

Kleptokitty, what do you want me to do with the book?

Journal Entry 5 by malagan from Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, June 25, 2006

Caught this book at the meeting. I am looking forward to reading this book, but it might take a while, because mount TBR is really growing!

Journal Entry 6 by malagan at OBCZ Brouwerij de Molen in Bodegraven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, November 26, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (11/26/2006 UTC) at OBCZ Brouwerij de Molen in Bodegraven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

This book will go with me to the official opening of OBCZ Brouwerij de Molen

Journal Entry 7 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, November 26, 2006

I found it at the meeting!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, September 30, 2007

I really enjoyed reading this book! It was exciting (whodidit?) and psychologically interesting at the same time. I liked the narrator. Also admire Dobyns for making me feel cold by describing chilly Halloween nights and snowy afternoons. Brr!

I remember somebody asking if she may read the book after me, now I am going to try and find out who it was... :-)

Journal Entry 9 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 29, 2007

This book was handed to me by Barbje, as I was the one who asked for it earlier.

edit May 19th 2008: This book will move to the top of mount TBR, since it will go to dagett as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 10 by AnnevO at Post office in via mail, Trade -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 26, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/26/2008 UTC) at Post office in via mail, Trade -- Controlled Releases

This book is on its way to Vienna, Austria, as part of a trade!

Journal Entry 11 by dagett from Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wow, that was fast!
Thank you so much AnnevO for the trade and the nice postcard! I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

I hope my part of the trade will arrive at your place soon, it is travelling now for over a week.
Let me know, when it arrives!