corner corner The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending
by Julian Barnes | Literature & Fiction
Registered by oofiri of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/2/2013

status (set by Cassandra2020): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Bought this at a bookstore sale, for a treat. My expectations were way up there: title, author, everything. The story is about hindsight, how the truth emerges slowly, reluctantly, painfully. Good stuff. And I still love the cover so much it's hard to let the book go. But I will.

Journal Entry 2 by oofiri at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/2/2013 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Annimannille miitissä.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

What a nice surprise, thank you! And you're right, the dust cover is beautiful.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 27, 2013

Good stuff, yes. I love Barnes' writing and treasured every moment of reading this book. I must admit, though, that I was somewhat confused and even a little bit disappointed by the ending – and after some googling can see that I'm not the only one! There are some fascinating discussions about how one should interpret the ending and whether the narrator is reliable or not. I think this story will stay with me for a long time while I ponder about the various possibilities :)

Thanks for sharing, oofiri!

I've tagged Bloedengel with this book so it will travel to Belgium next.

Journal Entry 5 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

What a pretty cover-layout !!!! :) Thank you :)

Journal Entry 6 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, August 04, 2015

My first 'Barnes', but most certainly not the last. What a writer, what a book. And indeed, the cover's beautiful 'en plus' !
I'm sorry I've kept this little gem with me here in Belgium for so long, but I'll make sure it continues its travels soon !

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, August 14, 2015

Thank you for this beautiful surprise book. I liked Arthur & George so I have great expectation about this one.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, December 21, 2015

I definitely love Julian Barnes ! Thank you for this gem.
I'm looking forward for more of this author.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (12/22/2015 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

Too great a book to stay put gathering dust on a bookshelf. On its way to Bluemchenblatt who has it on her wishlist. ;)

Journal Entry 10 by wingBluemchenblattwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Thank you Icila! I just got it out from the mailbox this evening.
I'm very curious to read this novel myself after all your comments.

Journal Entry 11 by wingBluemchenblattwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, January 20, 2016

This book has been on my wishlist since November 2013.
Like my predecessors I enjoy the cover art.
I finished the book on my way home from work this evening and feel a little perplexed.
While I enjoyed reading this book overall, I was annoyed by the detailed and crude descriptions of sexual acts. (Who cares you wanked in that sink? I surely don't and it adds nothing to the story.)
It is interesting how the author plays with the memories and I did enjoy how step after step he leads you to make assumptions, but like for Annimanni the end felt somewhat disappointing to me.
On the other hand, I have the feeling the story will be with me for another couple of days to consider and reflect on.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBluemchenblattwing at VAMV, Adalbertstraße 15- 17, Bockenheim in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, February 07, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/9/2016 UTC) at VAMV, Adalbertstraße 15- 17, Bockenheim in Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

The book shall be released at the meet-up.

Journal Entry 13 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, February 11, 2016

Met the book at the Meetup. Hopefully it will travel with me to Scotland this summer.

Journal Entry 14 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Old Town in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 30, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (10/28/2016 UTC) at Old Town in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

At the Meetup with the Edinburgh Bookcrossers. Thank you for the nice evening! :-)

Journal Entry 15 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 04, 2016

Picked up at last night's meetup and destined for my obcz.... this is actually a book I read, and loved, a few years ago so I'll include the review I wrote then:

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes - Very Good
This won the Man Booker prize 2011 and I think I can see why.

It's an interwoven story told from the viewpoint of Anthony Webster. At school he has 2 'best friends' until Adrian Finn arrives and is accepted into their clique. Or is he? They have various affectations, such as wearing their watches face in, which he never takes part in, but is still accepted as one of them without ever really becoming so. They finish school, go off to University vowing to stay in touch and, of course, go their separate ways. We follow Anthony as he studies, dates Veronica, splits up from her, marries Margaret, has a child, divorces.... All these events are just sketched out as Anthony reminisces and yet you feel you understand.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but a couple of 'events' are the trigger for all this. The second, the death of Veronica's Mother, leads to a bequest and Anthony finds himself re-assessing his memories and discovering things about himself, and the people in his life, that had somehow passed him by at the time.

It's a book about the unreliability of memory and about self-discovery. It is beautifully written and whilst it is a slight volume and never really goes into any detail, you still feel as if you have read something in depth. I read it in a couple of afternoons and really enjoyed it. Especially after struggling through 'A Visit from the Goon Squad', 'Swamplandia' and laughing my way through 'Fifty Shades of Grey'! It was nice to read something thoughful but not too heavy handed.

Journal Entry 16 by Cassandra2020 at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (4/19/2017 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Released to obcz

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 17 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Retrieved from obcz

Journal Entry 18 by Cassandra2020 at Book Festival, Charlotte Square in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 12, 2017

Released 5 days ago (8/13/2017 UTC) at Book Festival, Charlotte Square in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Bringing to the Old Gang BookFest meetup, but if it isn't taken it will be left somewhere in the Book Festival and become part of my regular Festival Release Challenge.

During the Edinburgh Festival 2010 I wild released 50 books around various venues to 'celebrate' my birthday. I got 9 'catches' which I thought was pretty good going.

It proved to be quite addictive, so for the 8th year in a row I thought I'd do it again. Collecting 50 books to release is quite a challenge, so not all the books are ones that I've read, if they are then my journal entry will be somewhere above.

Expect releases to take place between 1st August 2017 and 1st September 2017.

Thank you for picking up this book. I hope you enjoy reading it & look forward to reading your journal entry & those that follow. You don't have to join to journal (you can do that anonymously) but it's free, so if you're a bookworm that likes to pass on books, why not join in.

I will try & update these release notes with the actual details ASAP after release and will tweet their location as I go (@cassandra2020)

Released as part of my annual challenge to release 50 books during the Edinburgh Festival - if you've picked this book up I hope you enjoy it!