corner corner Plains of Passage

Plains of Passage
by Jane M Auel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by arugh48187 of Edina, Minnesota USA on 12/2/2003

status (set by inkognitoh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2003

This book is the least favorite of the five that Jean M. Auel has written, but it is still a fantastic read. I re-read the whole series not too long ago so I could read her newest one and it was just as good the second time as it was the first.

From the Publisher:
With her companion, Jondalar, Ayla sets out on her most dangerous and daring journey--away from the welcoming hearths of the Mammoth Hunters and into the unknown. Their odyssey spans a beautiful but sparsely populated and treacherous continent, the windswept grasslands of Ice Age Europe, casting the pair among strangers. Some will be intrigued by Ayla and Jondalar, with their many innovative skills, including the taming of wild horses and a wolf; others will avoid them, threatened by what they cannot understand; and some will threaten them. But Ayla, with no memory of her own people, and Jondalar, with a hunger to return to his, are impelled by their own deep drives to continue their trek across the spectacular heart of an unmapped world to find that place they can both call home.

Journal Entry 2 by arugh48187 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 04, 2003

Released on Thursday, December 04, 2003 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota Controlled Releases.

Sending this out as an RABCK to fulfill a wish.

Journal Entry 3 by Leukonoe from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Juhhuuu, it arrived, 1000 thanks to arugh48187!

Journal Entry 4 by Leukonoe from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Monday, March 15, 2004

Ooof, this was a thick book - more than 800 pages! I agree - the first three volumes were better. Attaroa was a bit too much, and also Jondalar's decision to face the blackforest glacier instead of just going along the Rhine. Still a wonderful prehistoric novel and a comforting read for the soul!

Journal Entry 5 by Leukonoe from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Friday, July 09, 2004

This book is facing its birthday-RABCK passage via snail-mail across the channel tomorrow...

Journal Entry 6 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 22, 2004

Thank you so much for making me part of your birthday celebrations by thinking of me and my wish list! I've enjoyed Ayla's travels through pre-history and look forward to seeing what she and Jondalar are up to in this edition of the series.

Journal Entry 7 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 19, 2012

This book was one long epic journey. Not only was it the subject matter of the book but reading it felt like one too. I have been reading this in small chunks for months now. It has joined me on two long haul flights home to Australia and back to the UK during December 2011 and January 2012. I'm pleased to have finished with it as it was long, arduous and at times hard work (enough periglacial sex).

I found the painfully drawn out descriptions of absolutely everything they saw, did or thought somewhat painful but I did enjoy the chapters in which they interacted with other people.

Thanks so much for giving me the opporunity to carry on my journey with Ayla and Jondalar and sorry I've held it on to it for so long.

Journal Entry 8 by inkognitoh at Blacktown Workers Club in Blacktown, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/4/2012 UTC) at Blacktown Workers Club in Blacktown, New South Wales Australia

Left in the club on a visit home to Blacktown while checking in to my return London flight online (taking advantage of the free wifi) and playing the pokies in my late mother's honour.