corner corner Of Mice and Men (Read Red)

Of Mice and Men (Read Red)
by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction
Registered by inkognitoh of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/21/2013

status (set by inkognitoh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 21, 2013

This book has been at my launderette the last few times I've visited. I didn't take it on those occasions as it is clearly a book being used by a school student in their course, complete with a sheet of homework questions and other information inside (they are also studying Animal Farm). Temptation got the better of me on my last visit and I picked it up as it's one I haven't read and one I'd like to. I might re-release it at the same launderette out of guilt once I've finished reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 27, 2013

review

A primal howl to the desolation and loneliness of the rural working man (& woman) and the lengths they will go to for companionship. Set in the town of Soledad (Solitude for the non Spanish speakers), the story focuses on a group of itinerant workers of the kind Steinbeck portrays with brutal, vivid honesty and loving affection.

I started reading this book as I went into labour and picked it up again in short spurts over the course of a week's night feeds. The lonely cold small hours of the morning perhaps leant an extra poignancy to this story for me,

I'm a big fan of Steinbeck (who isn't?). He manages to combine beauty and bleakness in the most touching way. He writes humanity.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Westminster Centre For Independent Living in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 15, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/15/2013 UTC) at Westminster Centre For Independent Living in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom

Left on the shelves in the hydrotherapy pool area just before my baby's first swimming lesson.