corner corner Something to Declare

Something to Declare
by Julian Barnes | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingStoepbrakwing of Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on 3/20/2013

status (set by MarileenS): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingStoepbrakwing from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Synopsis (Credit: www.amazon.co.uk)

Julian Barnes's long and passionate relationship with France began more than forty years ago. As sceptical observer on family motoring holidays, assistant in a school in Brittany, student of the language and literature, author of Flaubert's Parrot and Cross Channel, he has criss-crossed the country and its culture.

The 18 essays collected here, written over a twenty-year period, attest to his cleareyed appreciation of the Land Without Brussels Sprouts. He ranges widely, from landscape to literature, food to Flaubert, film and song to the Tour de France.

(Bought second-hand at Help the Rural Child Charity Bookshop, Main Road, Retreat.)

Journal Entry 2 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I wonder how much time Julian Barnes spend on research when writing his books. Even with this book, a collection of essays, it is no different. Each one of them attests to many hours of painstaking work, just to set the scene. Add to that his ability to tell a story, his sharp wit, his passion for France ... no wonder each essay grabs one's attention, often on a topic I would not have considered of interest before.

Barnes's fascination (I don't think it's too strong a word for it) with Gustave Flaubert — his life and his work — plays a major role once more. As when I was reading Flaubert's Parrot, I realised again that there was much about Madame Bovary that I missed. This time it almost persuaded me to read the book again. Almost.

Journal Entry 3 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, April 08, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/8/2016 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Given to MarileenS.

Read and Release!

Journal Entry 4 by MarileenS at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, April 08, 2016

Received from Stoepbrak