corner corner Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm

Registered by J4shaw of Boise, Idaho USA on 3/18/2013

status (set by J4shaw): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by J4shaw from Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, March 18, 2013

Purchased from a Charity Shop in Mold, North Wales, UK

About Stella Gibbons (1902 - 1989)

Stella Dorothea Gibbons, novelist, poet and short-story writer, was born in London in 1902. She went to the North London Collegiate School and studied journalism at University College, London. She then worked for ten years on various papers, including the Evening Standard.

In 1933 she married the actor and singer Allan Webb, who died in 1959. They had one daughter. Stella Gibbons died in 1989.

About the book
Book 2 of 3 of the Cold Comfort Farm series
Published in 1940

What better place to spend the holidays than Cold Comfort Farm?

Available for the first time since its original publication more than fifty years ago, Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm is a charming collection whose hilarious title story features Christmas dinner with the Starkadders before Flora's arrival. With Adam playing Santa while draped in Mrs. Starkadders's shawls, the family shares their traditional "Christmas pudding" - a mélange containing random objects of doom foretelling the coming year: a coffin nail for death, a bad sixpence for financial ruin, and a menthol cone to indicate that the lucky recipient will go "blind wi' headache." These lively tales will delight anyone who loves Stella Gibbons and her signature wit.

Genre: General Fiction

Journal Entry 2 by J4shaw at Stanwell Bookswap Shelf in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 24, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (7/24/2017 UTC) at Stanwell Bookswap Shelf in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

This one won't be making the trip with me to my new home, but I have purchased this as an eBook, so will add my review when I've read it.