corner corner Nightshade

Nightshade
by Andrea Cremer | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingAylaMeywing of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 2/24/2013

status (set by -Nika-): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAylaMeywing from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, February 24, 2013

A stunning paranormal novel of forbidden love, destiny and werewolves by an astounding new voice in YA fiction.

She can control her pack, but not her heart..

'I wanted him to kiss me-wished he could smell the desire that I knew was pouring off me. You can't, Calla. This boy isn't the one for you.'

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: graduation, marriage and then a life leading her pack. But when she defies her masters' laws to save a human boy, she must choose.

Is one boy worth losing everything?

Journal Entry 2 by wingAylaMeywing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, August 29, 2016

I came across this book on a free book-swap-shelf. As I am currently into reading fantasy and as it even was the first book of a trilogy, I immediately took this book home. This book falls into the category Young Adult Fiction, as many of these supernatural semi love-stories, like the Twilight-saga.

Nightshade centers around Calla, a young girl who is a Guardian; a being both human and wolf. Unlike the mythical werewolf, a Guardian can shift from one form to the other without any effort and stays in control all of the time. I took me quite a while getting to grips with the whole Guardian / Keeper / Searcher-thing.

Guardians are some sort of Soldiers for the Keepers, protecting and serving. Within the Guardian packs there is a strong hierarchy with Alpha's and so on. Calla is the alpha wolf of her pack and she is soon to be mated with Ren, the alpha male of another (somewhat rival) pack. They have known each-other for a long time. There is no such thing as real love between the two, but a sense of duty. This is what they are and what they are meant to do. But then Shay enters their lives. A seemingly human boy who messes everything up.

I liked the story. Sometimes things are a bit overly 'young-adulty' but it didn't bother me that much. The characters are well portrayed. Ansel, Calla's little brother and Brynn, her second-in-command and best friend, are both very cute and caring. Ren, her soon-to-be-mate was a bit difficult to like, being a womanizer but a real alpha at the same time; not accepting any challenge. Shay was a bit of a sweet guy and I envision him as rather stunning from what is described. What I found surprising was that Adrea Cremer even incorporated a gay relationship into the story. Not just casually, but one that will be important later on in the series. Thumbs up.

I will not spoil anything else, except that if you realise at the ending of this book that you like the story, you must get your hands on part two and three of the trilogy.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAylaMeywing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, January 26, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (1/26/2017 UTC) at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

This book participates in the 52/52 challenge by Joanazinha.

I hope you enjoy reading this series as much as I did. Thanks again for loaning me the sequels!

Journal Entry 4 by wing-Nika-wing at Doorn, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thanks :)