corner corner The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne in)

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne in)
by Mark Hodder | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingmathgirl40wing of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 2/23/2013

status (set by megami-no-ushi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmathgirl40wing from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books for those who want to share the joy of reading. If you find this book, please leave a journal entry to let previous readers know how and where you found the book. Feel free to do this anonymously if you wish. You are welcome to keep the book, but I encourage you to pass it on and let it continue its journey.

Description of the book from the publisher's Web site:
"London, 1861.
Sir Richard Francis Burton—explorer, linguist, scholar, and swordsman; his reputation tarnished; his career in tatters; his former partner missing and probably dead.
Algernon Charles Swinburne—unsuccessful poet and follower of de Sade; for whom pain is pleasure, and brandy is ruin!
They stand at a crossroads in their lives and are caught in the epicenter of an empire torn by conflicting forces: Engineers transform the landscape with bigger, faster, noisier, and dirtier technological wonders; Eugenicists develop specialist animals to provide unpaid labor; Libertines oppose repressive laws and demand a society based on beauty and creativity; while the Rakes push the boundaries of human behavior to the limits with magic, drugs, and anarchy. The two men are sucked into the perilous depths of this moral and ethical vacuum when Lord Palmerston commissions Burton to investigate assaults on young women committed by a weird apparition known as Spring Heeled Jack, and to find out why werewolves are terrorizing London's East End.
Their investigations lead them to one of the defining events of the age, and the terrifying possibility that the world they inhabit shouldn't exist at all!"

Journal Entry 2 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 23, 2013

This book was one of the selections for our local independent bookstore's Steampunk book-club, and everyone in the club liked it very much. Using characters based on real people from the Victoria era, this novel shows an alternate universe created by a mad time traveller. Hodder takes a lot of liberties with the characters and setting, making for a fun and wild romp through "Victorian" England.

I've reserved this for the Cross-Canada Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 01, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/2/2013 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Added to the Cross-Canada Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

I picked this book out of the box - I quite enjoy Steampunk and am looking forward to reading this one

Journal Entry 5 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 10, 2014

I really enjoyed this one! Reads very similar to George Mann with a flair of Susanna Clarke. It is not "conventional" steampunk (Zeppelins and automatons) and is quite a refreshing read! Quirky characters, dry humour, excellent world building - I wish my house had a litter crab to pick up behind my teenagers :)
Thank you for sharing this one, mathgirl40! I will be taking this to the next Bookcrossing meeting here in Calgary to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 6 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/12/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this excellent steampunk romp to the Calgary Bookcrossing meeting at Cravings today to find a new reader.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing April meet-up. Yay, steampunk!

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, June 13, 2014

This is a crazy book, but I loved it. You start out thinking it's this alternative history steampunk book, but by the end, it's actually more than that. Steampunk Victorian London is such a wonderful setting. Are there more books with these characters from this time? I think this would be an awesome series.

Journal Entry 9 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/14/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing June meet-up.

Journal Entry 10 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Picked this up at the June BC meeting.

Haven't read a steam punk novel before. Looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 11 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Fun read. This wasn't exactly quite what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised at this take on steampunk.

I look forward to reading more from the Burton & Swinbourne series.

Journal Entry 12 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/9/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing to August Calgary BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/9/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing to August Calgary BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 14 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pick up at get together

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 13, 2016

This book was not quite what I was expecting. Though I was fascinated by the role genetic engineering took place in Victorian England (although I suppose it's not technically Victorian England within the book!). It had an interesting mix of characters and irrational logic.

Thanks for the interesting read!

Journal Entry 16 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/9/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together~

Journal Entry 17 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 10, 2016

Pickup at the April meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 18 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 14, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/14/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the October meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 19 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 19, 2017

Picked up at the October meeting!