corner corner Reluctant God

Reluctant God
by Pamela F. Service | Teens
Registered by crrcookie of Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on 11/26/2003

status (set by wss4): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Just registering the book at this time. I hope to read it and then set it free!!!!

Registered while living in Kaiserslautern, GERMANY!

It is unknown where I got this book.

Journal Entry 2 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, December 25, 2003

From the inside front cover flap:

Lorna's father was an archaeologist and Lorna had spent most of her life in Egypt. She had grown up speaking Arabic as well as English and could read hieroglyphics as early as ABCs. To her, Egypt was the place to be, and acient Egypt was more real and more exciting than anything that could possibly happen in the dreary English boarding school her father insisted she must attend.

To Ameni, who lived in ancient Egypt and was the son of Pharoah Senusert II, life in the Egyptian court was dull. He longed for freedom and adventures like those of Sinuhe, the story hero who went to distant Syria. Instead, he had endless lessons, some to train him as a priest of the god Osiris, and others to teach him the languages of all the nations near Egypt.

Seperated by almost four thousand years, it might seem unlikely that these two should meet. Yet a walk in the hills near her father's current dig leads Lorna into danger and a strange discovery. And out of that discovery comes a meeting of past and present that generates a unique friendship and madcap trip across half of Europe to find a gang of thieves.

Journal Entry 3 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Mailing this out to "yourotherleft".

She is sending me Flat Stanley.

I am going to read this one before I let it go.

Journal Entry 4 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, January 24, 2004

For a children's book this is quite a read. I liked that the characters were well developed and that the plot was not insulting. In fact, it left a lot to ponder and wonder about the differences in the ancient and modern worlds.

I would definately recommend this book.

Journal Entry 5 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, January 28, 2004

This book went out in the mail today to "yourotherleft".

Journal Entry 6 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Received this and Everything's Eventual in the mail today. This was one of my favorite books that I read when I was in middle school and I'm really excited to read it again! Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I loved this book as much as I did the first time I read it when I was in middle school. It's a kids book, but it doesn't seem like one, and even though I'm older, I still devoured the story. It's a great combination of history and adventure - a great plot, characters you can really love, and somehow it all manages to make it seem like this sort of thing could really happen - and what history dork couldn't love that? Service does a great job of rendering what it must feel like for Ameni to be completely dislocated in time and to have had your whole family not to mention your whole society have lived and died without you. The book really helps you grasp the idea that all these people that lived and died before us were, just that, people - people not so different than ourselves. I've always had a sort of goofy wish that I could talk to some ordinary people that lived all this history I'm always reading about...if it could happen, I'd like to think that it would look something like this book. A great read!

It's traveling to wss4 who took it out of the teen VBB. Enjoy! =)

Journal Entry 8 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Monday, January 29, 2007

Book arrived today. I am looking forward to reading it and sharing it with my dd. Thank you!!