corner corner Dragons of Krynn, the

Dragons of Krynn, the
by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by krichlin of Long Branch, New Jersey USA on 1/25/2013

status (set by quietorchid): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by krichlin from Long Branch, New Jersey USA on Thursday, February 07, 2013

More tales from Krynn.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ken's heading out to China for a year to teach English, so he gave me a box of his books to release to the world. Have fun Ken!!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, November 21, 2015

The book is a compilation of 16 short stories from various authors taking place in the fictional world of Krynn:

"Seven Hymns of the Dragon" by Michael Williams.
"The Final Touch" by Michael and Teri Williams.
"Night of Falling Stars" by Nancy Varian Berberick.
"Honor Is All" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.
"Easy Pickings" by Douglas Niles.
"A Dragon to the Core" by Roger E. Moore.
"Dragon Breath" by Nick O'Donohoe.
"Fool's Gold" by Jeff Grubb.
"Scourge of the Wicked Kendragon" by Janet Pack.
"And Baby Makes Three" by Amy Stout.
"The First Dragonarmy Bridging Company" by Don Perrin.
"The Middle of Nowhere" by Dan Harnden.
"Kaz and the Dragon's Children" by Richard A. Knaak.
"Into the Light" by Linda P. Baker.
"The Best" by Margaret Weis.
"The Hunt" by Kevin Stein.

"Seven Hymns of the Dragon" by Michael Williams.
The first entry is a poetry section.
Either I have no poetry in my soul or these poems have no use behind leaving clues in a DragonLance campaign setting. Did not enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015

"The Final Touch" by Michael and Teri Williams.

This has a strange framing sequence, but without it, this Dragon Coming of Age story would not work properly. It would certainly lack punch at the end.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, December 02, 2015

"Night of Falling Stars" by Nancy Varian Berberick.

The Dragon in this tale, Claw, is rather the villain of the piece.

He's a cruel sort and a few years ago, he had some nasty fun with a party of Dwarven adventurers. He maimed one and left him for bait, killing one after another until the broken drawf crawled away. No spoilers, just back story.

The dwarf returns with a hero who is rumored to be fearless.

The hero is afraid that the rumors may be baseless... the fun of this tail is how the hero explores that as he explores the dragon's cave.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 06, 2015

"Honor Is All" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.

I like the complexity of this tale, trying to examine Good and Bad in a world where things are largely black and white, were creatures can really be born GOOD or EVIL or NEUTRAL, but even then the world is big and there are so many exceptions, so many things that aren't what they seem.

The Dragon in the tale is a most unique and interesting creature. While s/he isn't what it appears to be, the Dragon is not the star of the story. The Knight Mercanyin is. And, his so-called honor, may be the villain of the piece.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 06, 2015

"Easy Pickings" by Douglas Niles.

Chaltifor is a stupid ogre.
As stupid and as greedy as he is, this story was excellent.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 19, 2015

"A Dragon to the Core" by Roger E. Moore.

The one thing about DragonLance the RPG is that I abhor Gnomes, Gully Dwarves and Kender. I never saw the appeal of playing one of them and I was always worried a fellow gamer might decide to play one.

I may have been a wee bit hasty.

This story has a Gnome and Gully Dwarf. In a comedic piece, these two seemed to have found a proper place. And I love the portrayal of the darker elements of the story, I laughed out-loud in several places and felt the richer for it.

Still, I wouldn't want a gnome as a party member.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 19, 2015

"Dragon Breath" by Nick O'Donohoe.

I have encountered this group before and loved them from the first.

This is a wilder and sillier adventure that I would not have enjoyed but for the previous tale about a gnome.

And it is about a dragon... more or less. But mostly, it's about the booze.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 19, 2015

"Fool's Gold" by Jeff Grubb.

This town/village hates Gnomes as much as I did, and I'm really at the point in the collection that I'm wondering if this anthology was a collection of Gnome stories until marketing got a hold of it, truth be told.

And that's the rub in this story... Jengar MUST tell the truth. He's dragon cursed to do so.

I did not know DragonLance dragons could throw curses.

Jengar is hired by a dishonest man to clear the town of a nuisance in the form of a Gnome trying to create a sail-less sailboat. And while the Gnome is littering the beach with broken steamboats and jet-skis, he is no threat to anyone but his human apprentice.

In the end, Jengar actually gets something of a happy ending because there is a difference between truth and honesty. Plus, he's not the one riding off into the sunset this time.

I like this story. I have theories about the dog. I hope Jengar has more adventures that I might trip across.

Journal Entry 11 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 22, 2016

"Scourge of the Wicked Kendragon" by Janet Pack.

One of the funniest tales in the book, it's a TF (transformation piece) of a Kender into a Dragon. Lots of smiles and head shaking in this story; it almost made me like Kenders. This is the best "light-hearted" story in the collection, I believe.

Journal Entry 12 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 22, 2016

"And Baby Makes Three" by Amy Stout.

This is one of the few stories where we really get to know a Dragon. The Old Grouch in this story seems just a shade more complex than his rider gives him credit for. Still, he's not the lead, his rider is. Stoic John reminds me of a jock from high school who's been properly tested in battle.

I liked the story and the way dragon and rider try to adjust to a new "member" of the team.

Journal Entry 13 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"The First Dragonarmy Bridging Company" by Don Perrin.

The thing that always gets me about EVIL organizations is that, in real life, they would all fail. Certainly, there are surprisingly, and seemingly, successful evil organizations in the world like Isis and Monsanto. But in these cases, there's a support structure with superior people dedicated to what they perceive as the greater good.

In the RPG universes, Good and Evil tend to be very digital, very black and white. To me, Evil is self-serving and destructive (yes, even lawful evil) and the height of fantasy isn't the magical beasts, but these 3,000 member evil armies all very efficiently working together with nary an issue. It would take a very special kind of madman to do so.

Someone like an engineer, perhaps.

Which is were this story comes in.

This is, to me, one of the best conceived and unique stories in the book. It also has the virtue of really exploring what it means to be a draconian on Krynn while working under an evil overlord. Oh, these creatures were evil, of course, but the virture of engineering pride and teamwork helped to balance them out. I cheered for them and I felt a surge of pride in their accomplishments.

It was the strongest anthropomorphic stories in this collection.

Journal Entry 14 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"The Middle of Nowhere" by Dan Harnden.

Complex, but I'd almost lost all interest by the time the first dragon showed up and then again by the time the second dragon show up. The pay-off at the end was well worth it, but I might have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been looking for dragons.

Ah, the problem of reading with an agenda.

Still, the ending was very just and satisfying. The village in the middle of nowhere with a deep, dark secret is certainly a beloved story device. It's nice to see the drifter wander in and fix everyone's wagon.

Journal Entry 15 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"Kaz and the Dragon's Children" by Richard A. Knaak.

I have a special place in my heart for Minotaurs. Kaz was a quite welcome diversion from my hunt for Dragons. I relaxed my guard and a great silver dragon slipped in with him. The interactions in this story were excellent and the anthropomorphic characters were quite nearly perfect without being too human.

Journal Entry 16 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"Into the Light" by Linda P. Baker.

Back into the world where Dragons and Draconians are just villains out to kill you. A strong and serviceable story whose only failing, in respect to the collection, is that we only get to know the monsters as... well, monsters. Threats. Again, I'm reading with an agenda.

As with "The Middle of Nowhere." I could have enjoyed this story more if I had encountered it elsewhere. And of course, as a Furry, I'm looking to get into the head and motivation of the dragon.

Journal Entry 17 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"The Best" by Margaret Weis.

This was a wonderful bit of story telling that really let me get into the head of a dragon.

It starts with an Inn and, in typical RPG fashion, people who would normally never travel together, are given a reason to. All turn out to be the best at what they do (and what they do is profitable). They go visit a dragon's lair.

Journal Entry 18 by wingGreyflankwing at Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

"The Hunt" by Kevin Stein.

I'd read another story with Galen that obviously takes place after this story. I really enjoyed that story. It's hard for me not to compare them, so forgive me. This story is so much more... depressing than the other story, although thematically they are similar. The thirst for vengeance is a terrible master.

The evil dragon he encounters seems much too wise for a creature of darkness; but I suppose if you live long enough, you learn stuff.

Journal Entry 19 by wingGreyflankwing at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, February 05, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/7/2016 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

This is a Memorial Release For Teddy Sexton.

Teddy passed away July 24, 2012. Since then, I've given myself the job of spreading the books he left behind as if they were his ashes. Not all of the books I'm releasing during this time were his; but the bulk have been. I still have many, many of his books left to share.

For QuietorChild for reading and/or Sharing.

To the finder of this book, please enjoy it. Please share it with someone. Please help it travel. Thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, February 11, 2016

This arrived in a SF Book Box for a little free library. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 21 by quietorchid at Little Free Library -Dale (#0710) in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, February 21, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/21/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library -Dale (#0710) in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Left on the shelf to find a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!