corner corner In the City by the Sea

In the City by the Sea
by Kamila Shamsie | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/24/2013

status (set by tuittupeppi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 24, 2013

From the back:

"Hasan is eleven years old. An imaginative, intelligent boy, he loves cricket, pomegranates, the night sky, his clever, vibrant artistic mother and his witty lawyer father, and he adores his next-door neighbour Zehra. One early summer morning, while lazing happily on the roof, Hasan watches a young boy flying a yellow kite fall to his death. And soon after, Hasan's idyllic, sheltered family life is shattered when his beloved uncle, a dissenting politician, is arrested and charged with treason.

Set in a land ruled by an oppresive military regime, this charming novel vividly recreates the confusing world of a young boy on the edge of adulthood, and beautifully illustrates the transformative power of the imagination."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A warm, touching read - just what you know to expect from Shamsie - although probably my least favourite of the her books I've so far read. This is her first novel and a good start, but I like the way she develops her characters further in her later books. Recommended reading nevertheless!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This is on a certain someone's wishlist so I'm reserving it for her for when we meet in Pori in August.

Journal Entry 4 by tuittupeppi at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Monday, August 19, 2013

Oh my, thank you very much for this one, too! :)