corner corner Reef

Reef
by Romesh Gunesekera | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/24/2013

status (set by sakirmo): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 24, 2013

From the author's website:

"A love story set in a spoiled paradise. It is told by Triton, who at the age of eleven goes to work as houseboy to Mister Salgado, a marine biologist obsessed by swamp, sea movements and the island’s disappearing reef. Triton learns to polish silver; to mix a love cake with ten eggs, creamed butter and fresh cashew nuts; and to steam the exotic parrot fish for his master’s lover. As Triton recounts his story, an extraordinary voice emerges: naive and knowing, fearful and brave, a boy becoming a man in a world on the brink of chaos. Published by Granta."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 15, 2013

This was a very enjoyable read. There was something dreamlike in the atmosphere, and I could feel the hot humidity on my skin. Interesting characters, too. Recommended!

This book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Guardian Fiction Prize and won the Yorkshire Post First Work Prize.

***
Tarna picked this from the Trophy Cabinet. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I was expecting to get a book yesterday but not from you — and certainly not three books at the same time. I'm sure I made a good choice when picking up Reef from Palkintokaappi (Finnish Forum Trophy Cabinet VBB). Actually, the book itself looks like a trophy. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, June 02, 2016

The book/author has earned its/his prizes. Also I was seduced by the atmosphere and pretty slow pace. Fell in love with the second part, Cook’s Joy. Besides, Sri Lankan literature is quite extraordinary, at least in Finland. Apart from Romesh Gunesekera, I don’t think I could name any other Sri Lankan born authors than Michael Ondaatje – and he’s Canadian. Simply put, this book is delightful. Thank you so much for putting it in our Trophy cabinet, Annimanni!

With this book I’m participating, among some other challenges, so called Ammattihaaste (occupational challenge). Triton starts his career as houseboy. He does all kind of subsidiary chores like taking master his tea and sweeping the steps. Later, after proving himself, he’s allowed to make tea. Then he becomes a real male servant and, basically, does everything, sees to the whole house. And he learns to cook and becomes quite an expert in it. He, for instance, cooks the perfect Christmas turkey even if he hasn’t ever had anything to do with turkeys.

Romesh Gunesekera at British Council Literature site
Romesh Gunesekera at Wikipedia

Romesh Gunesekera's website

Journal Entry 5 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, June 09, 2016

Released 11 mos ago (6/9/2016 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Hoping it's still on your wihlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingerpaxwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Juu, kyllä tämä oli toiveissani. Apua, ihan valtavasti kiitoksia, Tarna! Hillerman-kuusikko ja päälle vielä toivelistakirjoja. Tämä paketti oli kyllä valtava ylläri ja ilahduttaa vielä pitkään!

Edit. 27.10.2016:

Poimin Tarnan Palkintokaapista (VPK V) kirjoja ja tämä oli yksi tilalle laittamistani kirjoista. Jäi valitsematta loppukierroksella. Olen jo melkein lukenut...

Journal Entry 7 by wingerpaxwing at controlled release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 07, 2016

Released 6 mos ago (11/7/2016 UTC) at controlled release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Onneksi tuli oikea aika ja ruzena nappasi tämän. Postittajalla vaan vähän kesti. Hyviä lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 8 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 11, 2016

Kiitos kaikesta!

27.2.2017

Not much to add to the previous comments. The book is *simply* sympathetic. It is strictly focusing on the protagonist's point of view and making strides at an unhurried pace. Tasteful!

-ruzena

Journal Entry 9 by ruzena at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 27, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (2/27/2017 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Be my guest!

Journal Entry 10 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Oh, a wishlist surprise! Thank you :)