corner corner French Children Don't Throw Food

French Children Don't Throw Food
by Pamela Druckerman | Parenting & Families
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/12/2013

status (set by Annimanni): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 12, 2013

From Amazon:

"How do the French manage to raise well-behaved children and have a life!

Who hasn't noticed how well-behaved French children are - compared to our own?

- How come French babies sleep through the night?

- Why do French children happily eat what is put in front of them?

- How can French mums chat to their friends while their children play quietly?

- Why are French mums more likely to be seen in skinny jeans than tracksuit bottoms?

Pamela Druckerman, who lives in Paris with three young children, has had years of observing her French friends and neighbours, and with wit and style, has written a memoir that is ideally placed to teach us the basics of parenting a la francaise."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yes, I absolutely buy the philosophy! As Druckerman, I'd be hesitant to send a five-year-old to a ten-day school trip, but other than that I just love the French approach to bringing up your child or 'educación' as the French put it. I just wish I'd read this book four years ago!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm offering this as a ring for Finnish bookcrossers. Normal rules apply:
- journal on receipt
- read within four weeks; inform me if unable to do this
- journal again after you've finished the book
- send the book to the next participant (last participant, please send the book back to me).

Participants:

- tuittupeppi, Lahti
- duskiska, Turku
- Tyrnimarja, Helsinki

Journal Entry 4 by tuittupeppi at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The book is here, thank you very much :) I look forward to reading this book...

Journal Entry 5 by tuittupeppi at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Sunday, February 03, 2013

I finished this book last night and I don't know what to say...

In the beginning of the book I wasn't sure if I'll be able to finish the book; the style was too American for my taste. But well, what can you expect when the author is American?! Anyway, I continued reading and there were really interesting aspects, indeed. Some times I felt a bit bad; e.g. French babies sleep very well (!!!) and the toddlers are very independent. I guess the Finns are more close to the Anglos in this point (or am I wrong?!).

And then on the other hand I was once again amazed of some people; there was a story of a baby in Boston who refused to eat anything else than foil-wrapped chocolate Santas (well, who gives them to a baby anyway?!??). Then this baby's parents hoarded bags of them being afraid that they'd be out of stock after the holidays! This story made me really wonder that what the heck, is this really true?! But I guess it is...

Anyway, thank you Annimanni for sharing this book with me/us, it was good to read. And it was good practice for my English, too :)

P.S. I don't know why, but I somehow mixed this book with the other one from the same author so I was actually waiting for "Bringing up bébé" but I must have been in a hurry when I signed in for this bookring. But it didn't matter, this book was anyway something similar, I guess. And I still have that other book on my wish list :)

*edit at 9 pm*
Thanks Annimanni for letting me know that this book IS the same than
"Bringing up bébé"... *laughing* Now I've deleted it on my wish list.

Journal Entry 6 by tuittupeppi at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/3/2013 UTC) at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland

Next to duskiska, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by duskiska at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

It's here, thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by duskiska at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

This was a pleasant enough read for the most part, but I must admit I got a little distracted towards the ending. This type of sociological surveying is really interesting to read, especially when there's comparison between two different cultures.

The book contains some advice for raising children that really seem to make sense. I hope I'll remember the advice about how to get kids to sleep through the nights early on if/when I have my own. :D Waiting a bit before tending to a child who's woken in the middle of the night and seeing if they'll fall back asleep on their own does seem reasonable.

Thank you Annimanni for organizing the ring!

Journal Entry 9 by duskiska at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/28/2013 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Next to Tyrnimarja.

Journal Entry 10 by wingTyrnimarjawing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Book is here, thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by wingTyrnimarjawing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Really Good Read! I just enjoyed reading this book which is full of wise, common sense thoughts about bringing up a child.
And I baked the French Yoghurt Cake according to Druckerman´s instructions and it was just delicious (with Marianne crushs:).

Journal Entry 12 by wingTyrnimarjawing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/4/2013 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Travels back home!

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book returned home ages ago, sorry for not journaling!