corner corner Beloved

Beloved
by Toni Morrison | Literature & Fiction
Registered by karendawn of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 11/22/2003

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, November 22, 2003

This book was okay. I didn't really like it, but I didn't hate it either. I didn't like the fragmented narrative style. It might be a lot better on a second reading, but I don't feel compelled to go through it again.

From the back cover:
Sethe. Proud and beautiful, she escaped from slavery but is haunted by its heritage. She must deal with this haunted life on every level, from the fires of teh flesh to the heartbreaking challenges to the spirit. Set in rural Ohio several years after the Civil War, this profoundly affecting chronicle of slavery and its aftermath is Tono Morrison's greatest novel, a dazzling achievement, and the most spellbinding reading experience of the decade.

Journal Entry 2 by karendawn at on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Released on Thursday, December 11, 2003 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 19, 2003

Thanks karendawn, I received the book today. I'm looking forward to reading and releasing this one when I'm finished.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 08, 2007

I have guinaveve's 2007 Keep Them Moving Challenge to thank for giving me the little "push" to read books that I have received from other BookCrossers. Seeing as I have had this book on my shelf for nearly 4 years, it is high time that I read it.

This book offered an intriguing look into slavery. I enjoyed this book quite a bit and felt really immersed in the telling of the story as the thread of the story whipped around at the whim of Sethe's rememory. This book offers a reminder that even when slavery ends, the effects of slavery will continue to affect us for many years yet.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 24, 2007

Handing off to my brother tonight.

Journal Entry 6 by brewski at Los Angeles, California USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (12/24/2007 UTC) at Los Angeles, California USA

Handed off to my younger brother in California.