corner corner TheUnbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera, Milan ( Author ) ON Apr-29-1985, Paperback

by Milan Kundera | Literature & Fiction
Registered by SwanOfKennet of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria United Kingdom on 12/15/2012

status (set by LittleSuz): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by SwanOfKennet from Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria United Kingdom on Saturday, December 15, 2012

On its way to my NSSFC partner.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thank you! I've heard of this novel before so will hopefully enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018

Oops. I've left this so long to journal that I can hardly remember my thoughts on the novel. But I liked this more than expected. It was faster-flowing than most 'philosophical' novels, but raised interesting questions along the way.

I don't think it survives current attitudes towards sexual harassment and power very well however. Tomas was deeply unpleasant as a lead character and the women were a mixture of stereotypes and sexual fantasies. To some extent this was deliberate I guess, but still, I think Kundera's own attitudes towards sex were significantly behind the norms of today's world.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLittleSuzwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (7/1/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Taken to the meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.