corner corner Little Brother

Little Brother
by Cory Doctorow | Teens
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 11/23/2012

status (set by Firegirl): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Go Marcus!

Here's another copy on my shelf.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, November 24, 2012

MY STANDARD BOOKRAY INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book so we know it got to you safely.

2. VOLUNTARY - let's see if anyone reads this part! ;) If you're willing, please PM hyphen8 for my address and send me a postcard with some interesting stamps on it for my mom the stamp collector, especially if you're not in the US. (I tried doing a ring with an envelope for the used stamps at the back, but it stalled and I never got any of them, so I thought postcards sent to me might work better.)

3. Read and send on within 1 month - or make a journal entry to let us know how it's going if you need to keep the book longer. Unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way of BookCrossing, but on the other hand, it's a short book so it shouldn't take too long to read.

4. Make a journal entry when you've finished - tell us what you thought!

5. Check back here to make sure the order hasn't changed, then PM the next person in line for an address. Even if you've mailed something to that person before, please double-check their mailing info and make sure they're still interested and able to participate.

6. Use whatever shipping method works best for you; if you're able to use delivery confirmation/tracking that's always nice. Media mail/slow boat is fine.

Current order (subject to change):
*PLEASE* check before sending to the next person!

JudySlump612 (Minnesota)
mrsjones (Ohio)
Firegirl (Virginia)
iwillrejoice (Florida)
quickheels (Florida)
Back to Firegirl - here!
?

If you see a known staller on this list please send me a PM.

Note: this second-hand book is starting off with some water damage, but still seems quite readable. If it starts falling apart or anything like that, please let me know.

If you'd like to participate, post in the forum thread and send me a PM with your location and mailing preferences.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/26/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out to start a bookray; in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the School of Bookcrossing winter term.

The great Minnesota mailing experiment is on again; the last time I mailed two books on the same day to MN, the St. Paul book arrived considerably before the one headed for Minneapolis; wonder which will get there first this time!

I'll count this as a release for Secretariat's 2013 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 4).

Update: looks like the St. Paul book arrived a day earlier than this one, so not too much difference this time. I wonder if the mail goes to a sort facility there before it heads to Minneapolis..

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Arrived here yesterday, actually, but we were busy and the computer's been acting up. So, seventeen days to get to Minneapolis, pretty close to average. I'll get to this right away, and thanks again, hyphen8, for making this bookring available in the USA.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, March 01, 2013

I'm glad I got to read this - thanks again, hyphen8! I had a couple of different reactions. First of all, the technical details set this firmly in a specific time. The speed of technical change is getting so overwhelming that readers in only five or ten years are going to scratch their heads and say "Why would anyone use such pokey old systems?" Possibly smart kids like my son already would.

A similar disappointment is that the characters aren't very well developed. Marcus' dad is a nitwit whose only function seems to be making Marcus look more perceptive about what's going on. Charlie is such a complete oaf as to be beyond belief. And the school vice principal who can't figure out that 'w1n5t0n' is pronounced 'Winston?' Puhleeze!

But what I liked very much is the reminder that there's always someone who's happy to take your rights away. And I also liked the implication that surveillance can now be much more effective and ubiquitous than anything George Orwell could have ever dreamed up. That truth stands far above the technical details, and will continue into any future I can see. So to me this book strikes the encouraging note that it's always possible to strike back. And even have some fun along the way!

Journal Entry 6 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 01, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/1/2013 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Media mail to mrsjones today

Journal Entry 7 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 09, 2013

I was away for a few days and returned to find this in my mailbox. Those are the best kind of days, aren't they? I'll start reading it this weekend.

Journal Entry 8 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Sunday, March 17, 2013

I am not a techie, so much of this was beyond me. Though I was able to follow along and imagine most of it. I liked the nod to George Orwell, but it was the action-adventure that kept me reading more than the sci-fi aspect.

I've PMed Firegirl for her address and will keep this moving.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Arrived safely, thank you! I've got two books going at the moment, but one seems like it will be a quick read so I'll get to this very soon. Thanks for including me!

Hyphen8 - feel free to PM me your address and I'll see what I can do in the way of stamps.

Journal Entry 10 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, April 12, 2013

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I'm only passingly computer savvy and not very familiar or, to be honest, interested in internet security and privacy and hacking and all that. I do have quite a lot of friends who ARE interested and work in IT and/or act as hackers. I was afraid I'd be lost in the technicalities of it all, but I found the author did a good job of explaining as he went, so I wasn't too lost. (As I brief aside: this would be a great book to encourage a technological interest in a young adult.)

I also know lots of LARPers (and have participated in a few myself) as well as plenty of goths and other "misfit" crowds. The author merging several of those subgroups into one was very pleasing to me.

It is a YA book, so there is the inevitable focus on girls, identity, parents, etc. That isn't the main focus of the plot, though, which is a nice change Doctorow works it all in together in an easy to read, fast-paced storyline.

At times I found the whole thing pretty heavy on the "Fight the Man!" and "If you're not worried, you're not paying attention" concepts, but he supports them well. I was afraid the book was going to devolve into conspiracy theory paranoia, but that never happened. Doctorow seems to know what he's talking about and his concerns feel quite valid. Perhaps his future isn't as fictional as we want to believe. It *definitely* highlights the fact that nothing you do onine is secret, something more and more people seem to forget every day.

I'd be interested in more by him, but definitely would need to break it up with other works to avoid collapsing into full-fledged paranoia.

My husband is interested in this and normally I'd just hold on to it for a little while longer to allow him to read it, but he is deep into the Game of Thrones series. Perhaps after Iwillrejoice is finished, if no one else has signed up, it can come back to me so he can read it?

Journal Entry 11 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, April 27, 2013

It's here!

May is shaping up to be a busy month for me, but I'll do my best to move this along as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 12 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Just wanted to update you on the status of this book... As I said, May was pretty busy for me. I'm about halfway thru this book right now, & anticipate sending it on next week.

PM'ing quickheels for an address now.

Journal Entry 13 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, June 02, 2013

I enjoyed this book (finished it the other day.) Very up-to-the minute, & I think there's a lot of truth in it.

I'll be wrapping this up tomorrow, to send it on to quickheels. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by wingiwillrejoicewing at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/3/2013 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Released to quickheels in Florida. Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 15 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Friday, June 07, 2013

It's here and I'm enjoying it very much. Fast paced, well written and funny at times. What more could I ask for.

Journal Entry 16 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 25, 2013

It's back! Thanks for sending this back so my husband can read it!

Journal Entry 17 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015

On loan to a friend. When it comes back, I will push my husband to go ahead and read it so that I can then find another bookcrosser to send it on to.