corner corner The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling |
Registered by wingminesaynwing of Huron, Ohio USA on 11/19/2012

status (set by valpete): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingminesaynwing from Huron, Ohio USA on Monday, November 19, 2012

J.K. Rowling's story of life in a small village. Very character driven novel with flawed characters who all have some sort of "casual vacancy" in their lives. Some you will love, others not so much--just like real life.

Journal Entry 2 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Friday, November 30, 2012

This is the order for the book ring. Please journal when you receive it, and try not to keep it too long (hopefully no longer than 45 days) although I know life (and other books) get in the way. I hope you enjoy this newest novel from J.K. Rowling. It is not Harry Potter--as Hagrid would say, "just so's ya know!"

I will also include a postcard or such so that you can sign your name and place you live.
Lamilla (can ship anywhere) done
Raeliz64 (can ship anywhere) done
jo-an-a (prefers EU shipping) done
Applesiina (Finland or EU shipping) done
Miss-Sunshine (can ship anywhere) asked to be skipped
Rodespringbal (EU shipping preferred) done
MKtiny (EU shipping) done
Icila (ship anywhere) done
Ahabraken (can ship anywhere) asked to be skipped
book-n-neer (will ship to NZ) asked to be skipped
Edwardstreet (can ship anywhere) asked to be skipped
greenbadger (ship anywhere) done
Glade1 (US shipping only) asked to be skipped
Ksloan23 (US/Canada shipping only) asked to be skipped
Lorettallen (US shipping) asked to be skipped
Debbie4osu (US/Canada shipping) asked to be skipped
Booksnbeer (US/Canada shipping) done
imawinn2 (US/Canada shipping) done
rrrCaron (US shipping, but can do international) done
TinaJean (US shipping, but can do any) asked to be skipped
hyphen8 (US shipping) done
valpete (can ship anywhere) here
Basikilos (US shipping)
minesayn (back to me)

Any other people who choose to join will be inserted at/near the end based on shipping preferences. Thanks! I have updated the list to reflect the newest members of the ring, but they have been inserted as close to the end as possible.

Journal Entry 3 by wingminesaynwing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/1/2012 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent via the U.S.P.S. Hope you enjoy the book; please sign the card with your name or screen name and country as it travels around the world. Thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Arrived in perfect condition!

Journal Entry 5 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, January 10, 2013

I'm close to the ending now, will probably finish the book in the coming week and it'll be ready to travel to UK. Trying to keep it under 1 kg and safely packed at the same time.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLamillawing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 14, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2013 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Thank you, minesayn, for the opportunity to read "The Casual Vacancy". I enjoyed it immensely.
I believe Tessa Wall is representing the author's point here. The world we see is her world, concentrated on what is significant for her husband, son, girlfriend, pupil. I cared a lot about Fats and Krystal. I was really moved by the scene where we saw Krystal's homelife for the first time.
I had a feeling that in some parts author tried to address as many issues as possible and overdid it. I reckon some of the deaths and violence in the book were only for the dramatic effect and the story would've worked for me better without it.
I rated it 3 stars, as you might have seen on goodreads.

Track: RR917829839BY
Enjoy your reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Received today - thank very much :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, March 18, 2013

It took me a while to get my head around all the characters, but when I did I really enjoyed this book. Yes, most of the characters are unpleasant, but it was realistic.

Journal Entry 9 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

I'm really sorry for holding on to this book for so long, life has been hectic recently and I haven't been able to get to the Post Office. Anyway, it is off on it's travels again today.

Journal Entry 10 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, April 12, 2013

Arrived today, thanks very much!

Journal Entry 11 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, May 12, 2013

First of all thank you all for making this bookring possible.

The only problem I had with this book was that it is so bulky I couldn't keep it in my handbag! I usually do most of my reading whilst commuting to work, but this beast I had to read at home.

Once I started reading I couldn't put it down, I was so immersed in the story I was thinking about the characters even when I wasn't reading, and I was sad when the book ended.

The ending was unsatisfactory and rushed, but apart from that this was a great reading experience for me.

Journal Entry 12 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 17, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/17/2013 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On its way to the next reader!

Journal Entry 13 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, May 20, 2013

It's here! Thanks for sending! :)

Journal Entry 14 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, September 29, 2013

I'm sorry it took forever to read this, I got lost on my Mount TBR and it took some time to find the right path again.

I liked the book but it was not as good as I expected. I liked the teenagers most, many of the adults were really unpleasant and I wouldn't like to live in a same village with them! However, I liked the realism, although as a mother of two little children it was really hard for me to read some parts... but that's what happening in real life too :(

I try to get this book moving next week, thanks for being patient with me!

Journal Entry 15 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (12/5/2013 UTC) at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

I'm so sorry about the delay in this books journey! :/ I had some huge hospital bills to pay this autumn and had to wait for my bank account to recover too. Anyway, I'll mail the book forward today. Thanks for being so patient and happy Christmas to all!

Journal Entry 16 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Book is with me :-) arrived yesterday!

Journal Entry 17 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Friday, January 31, 2014

For the first time in years, I had to have little paper with all the personages of the book written on it and what their relation was to eachother... That takes away my fun of reading. Not really in the writting style of JK Rowling. Not that I expected to find magical brooms or anything...
Too much info pulled together and so much going on in the book, you can't concentrate on Krystal's childhood and the brainwaves from an other like Fats... The adult lifes were so complicated and complex that you always need to be sure you were reading with full attention, and that is what I couldn't spare at some moments...
I will give the book one more try in Dutch as my best friend bought it and I will read it after her. But I won't get my expectations to high...

Hope that the next reader on the list likes it more!

Journal Entry 18 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Friday, January 31, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/31/2014 UTC) at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium

This book will go this day to the postoffice to go to MKtiny.

Will take a while to get there as the book is a hardcover, it will go as package and not as letter and yes that always needs time here in Belgium :-)

Journal Entry 19 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Arrived today. :)

Journal Entry 20 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sorry I kept this book for so long.

I really enjoyed the story. It's a complete change from Harry Potter, but an accomplished novel none the less. JK Rowling shows great insight into the minds and motivations of small-town English folk and manages to present their imperfections and situations in an ambiguous manner, leaving it up to the reader to make their own minds up about which side they are on.

On its way to icila.

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

And it's now with me. Soon I w'll be reading this controversial book. :)
Thank you !

Journal Entry 22 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

I never read any H.P. book (neither watched the movies) so I had a free spirit about the author although there were a lot of bad revues.

I don't know exactly why it's so difficult to remember who is who in this book. I see that I'm not alone here.
But I liked the book. I think that J.K.R. kept an open eye on the real life.

PMing the next on the list.

Journal Entry 23 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Ahabraken asked to be skipped, PMing the next.
Edwardstreet too, persevering.

Journal Entry 24 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/9/2014 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to greenbadger. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 25 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 19, 2014

The book has arrived, thank you! I'm afraid I have a couple of others to read first, will be as quick as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2014

The death of Barry Fairbrother leaves a place on the council, a casual vacancy, right in the run up to a vote over whether the village boundary should be redrawn to exclude a council estate. Rowling captures brilliantly the intensity of village life, where nothing can really be kept a secret.

Journal Entry 27 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 22, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/22/2014 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent on to BooksnBeer. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 28 by BooksnBeer at Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, August 29, 2014

Received this in the post yesterday. I have been interested in reading this book to see how she handles an adult novel. wow - didn't realize I signed up for this book over a year and a half ago.

I do have one book in front of it - but, I will try to get to it shortly.

Journal Entry 29 by BooksnBeer at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, October 06, 2014

Finished this over the weekend and I just PMed the next in line. Well - I am not sure about this book. It took me a while to get into it - it was a little too slow in the beginning. I did find I was losing who was who. I believe that the characters were all a little too similar. They was a big bad villain or two - but, they were all just villains in some way. Not really one I would recommend.

Journal Entry 30 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, October 25, 2014

This book has arrived in Wisconsin, USA. Thanks for sending it my way. :-)

12/06/2014 Update: Just a note to let you know that I'm still reading this book. It has been a very busy time around here so I'm not getting as much "armchair adventure time" as I'd like. I am well over half-way done with it and I have the next person's address.

Journal Entry 31 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, December 18, 2014

As noted by other readers, I too had a bit of a time trying to keep all the characters straight. But, as I progressed into the story, it all fell into place and I found myself enjoying the book. It is so different from the Harry Potter books (which I adore) and I find it so wonderful that J.K. Rowling could step out of that world of wizardry and magic to produce another type of fiction. It had to be a great release for her to bust out into the "muggle world". I thought the storyline of how the death of one man could set a small town off into political war was entertaining. However, what was even more interesting was the way Rowling's presented us with a plateful of individuals of various social standings, peeled back each of their layers and revealed their true natures, complexities, and nuances. It is an observation of very realistic human behavior in which we may find a bit of ourselves in some of the characters. It is a story that shows how one can get so caught up in ourselves, our individual lives or goals and the petty things that happen in life, that we fail to see the true picture of what is important... love, honesty and compassion for not only our fellow beings but also ourselves.

Thanks for the opportunity to read Casual Vacancy. I will send it off on it's next leg of the journey as soon as I can get to the post office.

Journal Entry 32 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 22, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (12/22/2014 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Casual Vacancy is now in the mail and traveling to rrrCaron. Happy Journeys! Happy Reading! PS: I left a little something inside the book for you rrrcaron. Maybe you will have a special book to use it in. :-)

Journal Entry 33 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

I received this book in the mail a few days ago. I have started it and I'm enjoying it so far. I will contact the next reader when I am closed to the finish.
Ruth

Journal Entry 34 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

I spent half the night reading this book to completion. I found that the characters in the story were very real in all aspects of small town living, especially politically active ones. The reactions to tragic and untimely deaths were right on, as well as the differences in wealth classes. Thanks for the opportunity to read this book. I'm contacting the next reader and sending the book on its travels.

Journal Entry 35 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 15, 2015

Tina asked to be skipped so I am sending out to next in line. Thanks,
Ruth

Journal Entry 36 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

This well-traveled book arrived today, in the company of a bookbox. Pretty good time from New Hampshire!

Journal Entry 37 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Not the sort of book I'd be likely to pick up if it weren't for the author, but an interesting read nonetheless. The interconnectedness of small-town life is well represented, and the politics are sufficiently convoluted. More often angry teenagers just get themselves into trouble, but in this case several of them manage to dramatically affect the world around them as well.

Journal Entry 38 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/24/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed off to valpete in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 39 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I received this today. Thanks so much for sending it. I do have a few up before this one. Please send me a reminder if I'm taking too long.